5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Another Fog Light Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 12:11 AM
CapeCodder88GT

Exclamation Another Fog Light Question

Hey guys I need some help here. I have read about the common fox body foglight issue through using the search feature; however my problem seems a little different. My foglights alone have quit working, all the other lights work fine and are unaffected (knock on wood)- but when I checked the fuse to the foglights it was burned out. Assuming this was the problem I replaced it and checked the foglights and no luck. Checking the fuse again I realized it had burned out the new fuse immediately. So I guess what Im wondering should I replace the fuse again and then just never use the foglights (which I dont really need anyway), or should I pull the fuse altogether to avoid creating a problem with the other lights (which I have read is prone to happening). I really want to avoid melting any wiring or damaging some other part of the electrical system involved with the lights. Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited by CapeCodder88GT; 01-20-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Direct short. Check for power to ground. No need for power to do this check. DVOM and some time will be fixed.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:42 PM
CapeCodder88GT

Okay- Im not really technically savvy how do I do this?
Old 01-19-2010, 06:10 PM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

One of the wires that feeds the fog lights has shorted to the body of the car. Pull the plug off one of the lights. Use a multitester to check for 'continuity to ground'. One of the connectors in the plug SHOULD beep when you connect one lead from the multi-tester to it and the other to a ground on the body. If you have both connectors (both on one light) that beep when tested to ground, you have gotten closer to finding the fault. Remove the positive cable from the battery. Put in a fresh fuse where the blown one was. Then test continuity between the connectors and the positive CABLE. When you find the connector that beeped with BOTH the ground and positive cable, you have found the problem.

You can either run a new wire from the dash switch or trace that bad wire and look at each place it comes close to the body. Especially where it goes through metal parts. When you find a bare spot on the wire, tape it up and prevent it from contacting the body there.

Don't forget to remove that fuse before reconnecting the battery cable or you will just blow that one too.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:24 PM
CapeCodder88GT

Cool thanks guys- I know how to turn a wrench but electrical stuff has always intimidated me.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:06 PM
CapeCodder88GT

I may just pull the fuse and leave it out for now- I never use the foglights anyway...
Old 01-20-2010, 08:10 AM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

Dont give up on this. Think of it as an opportunity to learn. You stated that electrical stuff intimidates you. Electrical stuff is becoming more and more important in regard to cars. The fog lights are a non-essential item on your car that you could use to learn some important things. Speaking from experience, the best and most complete way to learn something is to screw it up the first time. I remember at 19, i replaced the battery in my Mustang. I put it in backwards. I wondered why I got such a large spark. When I started the car, the charge light stayed lit. I toasted the fuse link protecting the alternator. So now, I am VERY careful about polarity. I learned my lesson.

http://mustangefiswap.blogspot.com/
Old 01-20-2010, 05:07 PM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

Hey,

A wiring diagram is easy accessible. You can probably grab one online or at a local libary. You just have to trace the wires for the Fog light switch starting with the feed side. And if you have any questions in regards to wiring diagrams, just post back here
Old 01-20-2010, 06:08 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Wiring is very easy once you learn it. At first when I would read diagrams I would want to cry because the stuff looked so damn confusing. Once you actually go out there and see all the stuff the wiring diagram is talking about you'll learn it just fine
Old 01-21-2010, 12:40 PM
CapeCodder88GT

I guess Ill hunt down a diagram and go from there- thanks for the vote of confidence guys!

Quick Reply: Another Fog Light Question