5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

5.0 died while driving!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 07:45 PM
5.0 Vertigo

Default 5.0 died while driving!!!

Have tried everthing and no spark???
Old 02-04-2010, 08:38 PM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

Need more background than your post provides. Symptoms prior to trouble? Method you used to determine you have no spark? Have you pulled codes?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:19 PM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangBradley
Need more background than your post provides. Symptoms prior to trouble? Method you used to determine you have no spark? Have you pulled codes?
+1

Also, can you hear the fuel pump prime with the KOEO?
Theres posts around here on testing the ignition circuit also (coil, TFI, PIP). My guess is if the fuel pump is working correctly, its going to be the TFI or PIP. The TFI can be tested at most good autoparts stores.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:48 PM
5.0 Vertigo

No prior trouble! Replaced TFI and checked ohm's on old one and bothe are ok. Replaced Dist. thinkin maybe the stator, no luck coil and wires all new also.Got power to the harness to the coil and ICM.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:52 AM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

Your next step should be to pull codes from the computer. This will probably not tell you the problem but it will tell you what is NOT the problem.

What method did you use to determine you had no spark? What does the engine sound like when you crank it? Give some more information. Some people who post give their life story but you seem to be the opposite!Haha
Old 02-05-2010, 11:10 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Pulling codes is a fairly useless step when the car has no spark. Spark is not controlled by any variable sensor in the engine. Its a hard fault that will not produce a code.

That being said, check to make sure that the distributor is installed properly, and that you are infact receiving a PIP signal through the TFI.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:57 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I gaurantee you have not tried everything or you'd have solved the prob...try this
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,588.0.html
Old 02-05-2010, 01:03 PM
5.0 Vertigo

Your next step should be to pull codes from the computer. This will probably not tell you the problem but it will tell you what is NOT the problem.

What method did you use to determine you had no spark? What does the engine sound like when you crank it? Give some more information. Some people who post give their life story but you seem to be the opposite!Haha
Tried turning over engie with coil wire just above coil and no spark, also pulled #1 plug and turned over and no spark. The engine turns over nicely and smooth, also tried spraying ether into throttle body to see if it would fire. I first replaced the TFI and it did not work, after following some threads on here I learned how to check them and both the new one and old check out fine with a Fluke meter. Wich led me to the stator in the Dist. I replaced the whole Dist. and no luck, still all the same problems, at that point I said WTF and replaced the coil even though the ohm reading are fine. I have power at the coil and I have power on 2 leads on the harness that plugs into the TFI.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:10 PM
5.0 Vertigo

Originally Posted by mjr46
I gaurantee you have not tried everything or you'd have solved the prob...try this
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,588.0.html
This is the thread I used, everthing checks out per this and the TFI link for testing that also?? Does anyone know if there is some type of nuetral safety switch that could go bad? Or how many of the 6 leads in the harness should have power with the key on?
Old 02-05-2010, 04:11 PM
MustangBradley
2nd Gear Member

You seem to have followed the path on finding out what is wrong with your car. Do you have a way to swap out the ICM and eliminate that as the cause? You said you have power to it but perhaps it is bad. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: 5.0 died while driving!!!