5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Won't start after being ran minimal time

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Creetan
2nd Gear Member

Default Won't start after being ran minimal time

Ok I have searched on here for hours as I usually do before posting. I see alot of people have problems similar to mine but not exactly the same.

I have a 1990 Mustang GT. 306, Eddy RPM heads, BBK SSI intake, 30lb injectors with matching MAF. Built AOD with 3000 stall. My issue is this. When I start the car when cold it starts right up and runs fantastic. But when I turn the car off and try to start it again it cranks but doesn't start. I have to let the car cool down all the way before it will start again. It doesn't matter if the car runs for 1 min or 3 hours it will not start after it has been running. I have changed the TFI. Got a new 1 from Autozone and it turned out to be bad to I returned it for another 1. This time they checked it before I left and what do ya know it was bad too. So I go down to Oreilly's and try and get 1 there. All they have is 1 in stock and I have them test it before I leave.. Yep u guessed it... It was bad too... So 3 new never used TFIs all bad. Finally got a working TFI put in and the car still does not start after it has been running.

So am I left to think it's the pick up coil in the dizzy? Any help or opinions on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:20 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Well, when it doesn't start have you determined it to be a spark or gas issue?
Old 02-06-2010, 04:56 AM
Creetan
2nd Gear Member

I checked spark from the coil and from each terminal on the dizzy. It was good. I checked for fuel and it has good pressure... When I first try to start it after being ran it acts like it wants to kick over at first and then just cranks and cranks. Reminds me of when a carb vehicle gets flooded out.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Creetan
2nd Gear Member

Ok new update. #1 cylinder is not working or working very little. Going to do a compression test and test the injector for that cylinder later today or tomorrow.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:52 PM
19stang88
3rd Gear Member

if you suspect its the pick up coil, might as well get a new dizzy. every shop i went to wouldn't disassemble my dizzy because they didnt want to have the risk of breaking it. but it doesn't hurt trying to get into the pick up coil.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Creetan
2nd Gear Member

Kinda wondering if its the Computer. The other day when I was checking the oil the dipstick rolled from where I had it and made contact on both the neg and pos terminals on the battery and shot sparks everywhere. After that is when all my problems started. I never really considered it as a possibility until now. I am guessing this because I know when u first start the car it's in closed loop and doesn't gather info from the sensors like it does when in open loop after the car is warm.

Last edited by Creetan; 02-06-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:35 AM
85-foxmustang

i have a problem like it i changed the cap,coil,starter,module and the starter relay still the same problem so i am tapped out of ideas. the only thing with my car to yours is that the second time i start it it will not crank at all. I talked to alot of people about it and still nothing. so if you ever get this problem fixxed please let me know and i will let you know if i get my problem fixxed
Old 02-07-2010, 09:42 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Have you considered the fact that you have enough fuel injector for 450hp and youre barely breaking 300? you say it acts like a carbed car that is floooded, i say youre right.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Creetan
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I am not the one that put the injectors/maf on the car. I figure no bigger then 24lbs would be needed. Although it is getting too much fuel I feel that the computer is the issue. Since the whole battery thing the air bag light keeps coming on and off and there is a beeping sound coming from in the dash that almost never stops. Beeps 5 times then stops for a few seconds and then does it again.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:43 PM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Creetan
Kinda wondering if its the Computer. The other day when I was checking the oil the dipstick rolled from where I had it and made contact on both the neg and pos terminals on the battery and shot sparks everywhere. After that is when all my problems started. I never really considered it as a possibility until now. I am guessing this because I know when u first start the car it's in closed loop and doesn't gather info from the sensors like it does when in open loop after the car is warm.
How are you checking to see if the vehicle is in closed loop? Closed loop is when the ECU is reading the 02 sensors to monitor results from the last commands used for the fuel injectors. Open loop is when the ECU uses the TPS, IAT, MAP/BAP, ECT, to calculate A/F ratios until the 02 sensor is at proper operating temperature.

Did you do a fuel leakdown test?

Quick Reply: Won't start after being ran minimal time