5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

went to car wash, now electrical issues

Old 03-01-2010, 02:38 PM
evilcw311

Default went to car wash, now electrical issues

So I normally would not go to an automatic car wash bud I was in a major hurry the other day. Got the full wash with undercarriage spray. Pulled out of the car wash and ever since im have the most insane issues.

1)unlock stopped working completely.
2)blew a bunch of fuses within a few minutes.
3)every time my rpm's reach 1500 or higher gauges go nuts, bunch of lights come on and then the seat belt beeper starts beepin like i just started the car.

The engine seems to still be running fine as far as i can tell. i had to drive it about 40 miles home with it like that and then i had to drive it again to a doctors appt. so again, engine seems to run fine but everything else is going nuts.

so im assuming that something under the hood got wet that doesnt like water, i looked but all seemed fine.

Any ideas?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Old 03-01-2010, 04:56 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

your main body harness got wet inside a large connector. on fox bodies, the body harness goes through the drivers side of the firewall, but IDK about sn95s
Old 03-04-2010, 05:12 PM
evilcw311

Yeah, I kind of figured thats what happened. Problem is I cant seem to find the main plug on the body harness on my bodystyle. its gotten a little better after sitting a few days, i can get up to 3k on the tach before all goes nuts now. still driving me crazy though, i cant drive at night since every time the gauges go nuts the heater speeds up real fast and the headlights all get so bright im afraid they are about to blow!!!!!

Anybody on here have any idea where the main plug for the body harness on a 95 is??? id really like to get this dried out and fix the issue so it doesnt happen again.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:55 PM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

Behind the passenger fender I think.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:09 PM
evilcw311

Yeah, so i seen you have to pull the inner fender to get to it. from what i can tell its not wet. Went to autozone today and had them check to see what my alt was doing. at idle it was kicking out 16v as soon as you would rev it to the point that the gauges went nuts it spike there machine at like 25v!!!!

So now im wondering if it was just a fluke chance of luck that my regulator just happen to burn up while i was sittin there. im gonna pull it off tomorow and have them test it on the bench. hopefully its just a bad alt and not really something in my harness.

Heres to Hoping!!!!!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:10 PM
evilcw311

wait......... just out of curiousity.........is there anything else that could cause the alt to spike like that???

Any Ideas???????
Old 03-05-2010, 10:57 PM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

You might want to do a voltage drop test on the charging system circuit as any issues in the feed side of the wiring will cause the alternator to put out crazy voltage.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:28 AM
MADMAC
2nd Gear Member

I had something of the something the same issue but the reverse. I was having problems with fluctuating gages and lowspeed fan not coming on. I replaced the CCRM and most all sensors, most were probably 15 yrs old anyway, why not? Checked all grounds that I could find, pull all connectors I could and still could not fix. Took stang to clean engine bay one day and everything started working right??????? Until it dried out then back to the old ways of problems!!!!!! I did not know there was a connector in the pass. wheel well. I am going to dig into it hard today and see if I can solve. Any other help would be appriciated, location of grounds on body, voltage and resistance values. Time to get the Fluke to start paying for itself somemore.

Issues somewhat similar, I will keep all informed. Thanx MAC
Old 03-06-2010, 01:43 PM
evilcw311

Originally Posted by dreamer1uk
You might want to do a voltage drop test on the charging system circuit as any issues in the feed side of the wiring will cause the alternator to put out crazy voltage.

just out of curiousity, ..... where do you reccomend starting and what all is involved in doing so?????

never had to trouble shoot an issue like this so im kind of just at a standstill.

All help is greatly appreciated!!!
Old 03-06-2010, 02:00 PM
MADMAC
2nd Gear Member

Check this site out, should help. http://www.excelauto.com/online/Tech.d/altvdt.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: went to car wash, now electrical issues