5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1990 mustang transmission problem...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 10:18 PM
trittinj

Default 1990 mustang transmission problem...

hey guys,
i just bought a 1990 mustang gt and noticed a whining noise coming from my trans. it also vibrates starting at about 40 mph and getting worse and worse as i increase speed. it sounds exactly like the whining noise when im going in reverse, only it happens in all the gears. and like i said it vibrates quite a bit. i doubt its the wheels being balanced, since the tires are bran new, and im pretty sure they were balanced. it does have a stage 3 clutch in it though. there is nothing else done to it besides the clutch, headers and intake. what would make my car whine and vibrate like this?
Old 03-07-2010, 10:30 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

VIBRATION COULD BE A RESULT of a bad u-joint, so that should be inspected.....as far as the whine goes, it's most likely got some bad bearings either on the countershaft in the tranny or the output bearing
Old 03-07-2010, 10:31 PM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

well depends on how hard it was run but im sure it has some chunks missing out of some of the gears.my buddys car had one that did the same thing.idk if you can see in this pic or not but it has chunks missing out of 1 of the gears.made an awful whining noise

Old 03-07-2010, 10:34 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

that's the counter gear^^^^
Old 03-07-2010, 11:33 PM
trittinj

Originally Posted by tohoopty
well depends on how hard it was run but im sure it has some chunks missing out of some of the gears.my buddys car had one that did the same thing.idk if you can see in this pic or not but it has chunks missing out of 1 of the gears.made an awful whining noise
did your friends car have a vibration or did it just have the whining?
Old 03-07-2010, 11:36 PM
trittinj

if anyone else has ideas they will be much appreciated. thanks for the replys guys.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:21 AM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by trittinj
if anyone else has ideas they will be much appreciated. thanks for the replys guys.
Take the vehicle back and demand they fix the problem or return your money?
Old 03-08-2010, 09:15 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by RogerDodger1
......if he bought it from a priviate individual, good luck with that...private sales don't carry warranties and are as is where is......., but before making any assumptions here, the correct question to ask to the OP is: WHERE was vehicle purchased?? and from whom?? retail or private??.....once such is revealed then you can decide if recourse is possible
Old 03-08-2010, 04:02 PM
trittinj

Originally Posted by RogerDodger1
its not a big deal, i kinda knew that it had some kind of problem. because i test drove it before hand and heard the whining. and it was pretty cheap anyways. not a concern of mine. my concern is if anyone has had this problem before, im sure i could figure it out, but i dont wanna start replacing parts that i dont need to replace, which is why im asking. ive never had a mustang before so its a first time experience with mustangs. obviously start off with the u-joint, counter shaft, balanced tires, and whatnot. is there anything else anyone can think of?
thanks
Old 03-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Danny_Boy

Thats the problem with getting a used Mustang.You really never know how it was treated and maintained.I mean unless you look it over real good and take it for a test spin,that can reveal alot.

Quick Reply: 1990 mustang transmission problem...