5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Breakup at high RPM. Causes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 05:08 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

22 would be my first step. MAP sensor would cause your issue. the others are present in every fox that gets driven lol.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Everyones Hero
1st Gear Member

Haha. Thanks. I'll head down to Autozone & get some carb cleaner & start there. 81, 82 I'm not going to worry about.

95- I'm going to see if they ran a wire from PIN 19 on the PCM to the FP relay. It primes & comes on fine so I'm guessing they did but I'll check it anyway. Does it go from PIN 19 to the yellow wire leading into the relay or the pnk/blk wire coming out of the relay?
Old 04-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Everyones Hero
1st Gear Member

Alright. I cleaned out the MAF & tried checking the timing but it's dark & I nearly gave myself a seizure. I'll have to check that tomorrow.

It's driving a little better but it feels like it's missing.

I guess the next step is to order a new cap/rotor & new O2 sensors. Mine is running 3 wire O2 sensors. Do I need to run 4 wire due to the MAF conversion or do I stick with the 3 wire?
Old 04-06-2010, 08:19 PM
02WhiteGTVert
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Everyones Hero
KOER
41 - System Indicates Lean -passenger side(R), No o2 Sensor Switching Detected. always lean -passenger side(M)
91 - o2 Sensor Circuit Indicates Lean -driver side(R), No o2 Sensor Switching Detected. always lean
What size MAF/ injector combo are you using? Also, when they did the MAF conversion did they also install a AIT (air intake temperature) sensor? Check for vaccuum leaks and make sure everything is sealed up good intake side of the MAF..

Also when checking timing it helps to mark the balancer with white out..makes it SO much more easier to see!
Old 04-06-2010, 08:40 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

with code 41 and 91, did you make sure the ground wire that goes to a stud on the back of the intake or it is on the back of the heads ....is it there/hooked up???
Old 04-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Everyones Hero
1st Gear Member

I'm assuming they're stock size injectors. The MAF I'll have to try to measure.

I bought the car over a year ago & it's exactly the same now as it was then. It wasn't until recently that I started having issues.

I'll have to check to see if there's an IAT/AIT sensor installed, along with the grounds on the manifold & heads. I'll also try to get a wire run from pin 19 to the FP relay. Which wire on the relay do I run the wire to? I'm guessing it's to the yellow wire going into the relay.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Everyones Hero
1st Gear Member

I talked to my little brother & he said to pull the O2 sensors & try cleaning them with carb cleaner. He also said he'd check on the prices at his tech center to see if he can do better than $45/sensor for me.

I went ahead & ordered the FMS cap/rotor along with new wires.

Likely a stupid question- but are the MAP/MAF the same thing? I tried a google image search but all the images were of MAFs.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:30 AM
Everyones Hero
1st Gear Member

Just my to-do list

81 & 82- Aftermarket headers. Ignore for now.
95- Check pin 19 for wire run to FP relay.
34- Clean/replace EGR/EVP sensors.
22- Cleaned MAF
29- VSS not connected. Ignore for now
41 & 91- Clean/replace O2 sensors. Clean injectors. Replace fuel pump.

-Check grounds on heads & IM.
-Install cap/rotor
-Check base timing
-Find out injectors & MAF size
-Check for AIT
-Check vacuum lines
Old 04-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Everyones Hero
1st Gear Member

Doesn't look like the car has an IAT sensor. It goes filter, MAF, TB. On/near the TB there's the TPS, EGR, & IAC. So only those 4 sensors on the intake side of the car.

Today I cleaned the EGR & IAC. Used nearly a whole bottle of carb cleaner on the EGR but it seems to have been worth it. It's definitely idling better.

I picked up a 7/8th O2 sensor socket & injector cleaner from AutoZone. I was hoping that by having the aftermarket exhaust the O2 sensors wouldn't be rusted in but it looks like they're going to be a PITA.

It's definitely running better but it feels like it's pulling a lot of timing (possible the car is in limp mode?) or it has a slight miss.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

You cleaned the MAF, but MAP is different than MAF.

Manifold Absolute Pressure, your code says it..

Quick Reply: Breakup at high RPM. Causes?