5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Building an interstate killer

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 02:05 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Building an interstate killer

OD band is very weak and so is the servo.

as for youre plans i garrenty they will change soon again. 16 and those speeds arent a good idea. you dont have the time under your belt to drive like that. this isnt to diss you but its for your own saftey man. take it from someone thats older and more experienced. stick to the legal limits
Old 08-01-2005, 02:15 AM
wildstang87
2nd Gear Member

yeah, what the point of going 140mph for any more than 12 sec. stick to the 1/4 mile times not top speed #s. being 16 and still in school you will get alot more girls if you can stomp it and make em scream stop, or make them choke from the burnt rubber filling the car. no women ive ever met has wanted to go over 100MPH. anyways, i just dont see you still wanting to do this kind of build up in a few years, and it will most likely end up a dead project, with alot of dough in the wrong places. thats my input
Old 08-01-2005, 02:46 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

So what was the purpose of the Superbird? It wasn't made for the 1/4 mile and it could still lay down pretty good times. But they used it in Nascar and it could hit 170-180 mph like it was nothing. It was a great all around car and that's what I'm looking for, I don't want a car that's going to top out at 120 mph, I want some top end. But I think with the proper parts and the proper gearing I can acheive pretty good 1/4 mile times and still have the speed that I want. I know that alot of you don't agree with this just because the fact that you guys want a car that'll run in it's full potential in the 1320 (and I'm not bashing anyone). But my dad and I are looking for a notch back that we can make into a mean *** 1320 car. You guys all think that I'm out of my mind, yes, and I'm not going to be doing 160 mph on the interstate everyday, I just want some top end for the occasional interstate runs. So anyone that's not going to help me out here I'd really like you to not respond. I'm not worried about the women either I've got a girlfriend that I've been with for almost 2 years now lol, she's got two 5.0s of her own. So like I said, I don't need the criticism, I know my limits and I don't push them, just please I only wanted help on what I said. Quik, and wildlstang, I really do appreciate what you guys are saying and concerned that this is going to be a dead project and that you're concerned for my safety. Just if you guys could see what kind of car that I'm trying to build, maybe this will give you a better understanding. Thanks a bunch guys! keep em comin!
Old 08-01-2005, 03:04 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

heres an idea man. my stang when done will still see over 120 with no problem. hell all i would have to do is take out gear and put in my 327s. with those or even my other set of 308s ill be one hell of a topend runner.

so to give you an example. the difference between a topend car and low end is the suspension and gearing. theres some more to it but.

heres another example buddys 308 geard cobra intake 170kmiled t5 hatch eats so many cars in a roll its pathethic [sp]. we ran before from a dig i would own him all day long. this was when i ran your VB and my old stall thats for sale. now when we would do a roll from 60 and up it be close at first then he would eventually pass me by around 90 and just walk me and walk me and walk me. this is with the 410s. i had to steep of gears compared to his 308s. when i was stock geard and stock stall we were close from a dig. it was whoever got the launch. now from a roll around 60 or whatever it was dead even. this was with my 327s

this is why gears hurt on topend. i was gong thru the gears way to quick and wasnt using the power slowly and with him having less gear but at higher speeds he could use his power and pull very nicely.

i hope that helps some. so just go about building the car up as in suspension and stiffen it up some. do the basics like pulleys, ac delete, some weight reduction, efans, K&N, shorties, OR H pipe and good catback. that was my car with 410s OH i had a stall but even without it, it was fun to drive
Old 08-01-2005, 03:37 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Alright cool quik, I guess I just felt like I was being bashed there for a minute. I'm definentally going to do some stiffening on the car first. I still need to know what company(s) have the best shocks/struts for what I'm trying to build.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:46 AM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

well you are 16 i dont care if im bashing or not, this is a stupid idea, you want a top end car when you have a car that will go say 130? its because of kids like you that when i was 16 my 5.0's insurance was as much as the car itself, you know they say mustang is car with the most injured beginner drivers, this is just a stupid idea imo.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:59 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

i wasnt bashing but over the past few months ive seen you look at different things to do with this car. and i was once 16 before and know how youre going ot think sooner or later.

as for the speed its not the best thing to do. ppl like to rush into things and those are teh ppl that get hurt. not saying you will but anything is possible.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:05 AM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

^^^ hes right.. i was on your cardomain, for being so young you have a great car, but focus on things more important that you dont need to change your mind on later.. like on there it said u wanted drag shocks and control arms..etc, thats not highway stuf so you obviously changed your mind.

what you should do imo is, paint the car, go back to the oxford white the blue with the red interior just doesnt go together, maybe get some nice rims and stuff to clean up the interior, like seats to get rid of those nasty seat covers and steering wheel cover. anyways just this highway idea is dumb..so i hope u change ur mind on it.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:12 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

OMG man i didnt know your car was a symbol for the USof A. ditch that blue or ditch the interor. go back to white. whoever painted that car without cuting in the rest is a fool. sorry if itwas you or family but that just costed you value or resale. and its just plain tacky
Old 08-01-2005, 04:19 AM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

LOL!.............

Quick Reply: Building an interstate killer