5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Stupid lower intake gasket.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 08:58 PM
02WhiteGTVert
3rd Gear Member

Default Stupid lower intake gasket.

Appearantly one of the water ports on my lower intake didn't seal on the new gasket. Yay. Not too concerned about it, seeing as how the new lifters didn't fix my valvetrain tick anyways. Don't wanna mess with it anymore trying to track it down anymore. The new kit should be on it's way shortly.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TF...350B/?rtype=10
anyone ever bought one of these kits? look for a build thread soon on my '94, should be tearing into it sometime this week when i get some time off!
Old 04-05-2010, 01:42 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I have a 93 and had a problem with a tick in my motor. At first I thought header leak, rocker, lifter, cam and a lot of other things. I couldn't figure out what it was until I got to hammering on it one night and a piston started slapping. I would look for the problem when tearing the heads off to make sure you are not experiencing the same thing. Probably not a piston but, I would find out for sure where the tick is coming from just so you don't throw it back together and still have the tick. Anyways, good luck with the build. We look forward to it.

Oh and next time you put intake gaskets on, use black silicone around the water passages. Technically it shouldn't be needed if the gasket does what it is suppose too but, it won't leak if it doesn't.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:56 AM
02WhiteGTVert
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
I have a 93 and had a problem with a tick in my motor. At first I thought header leak, rocker, lifter, cam and a lot of other things. I couldn't figure out what it was until I got to hammering on it one night and a piston started slapping. I would look for the problem when tearing the heads off to make sure you are not experiencing the same thing. Probably not a piston but, I would find out for sure where the tick is coming from just so you don't throw it back together and still have the tick. Anyways, good luck with the build. We look forward to it.

Oh and next time you put intake gaskets on, use black silicone around the water passages. Technically it shouldn't be needed if the gasket does what it is suppose too but, it won't leak if it doesn't.
based on the condition of the shortblock when i tear it down will be the determining factor on whether or not i rebuild the shortblock,or actually i may just order a new SB from 50resto, they're going for $600-something. I actually used RTV Red on the water passages, but for some reason it still didn't seal. ugh. oh well.

I know the tick is coming from the valvetrain,a few pushrods are loose when the rockers are torqued, you can really tell with the VC's off and the engine running