5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Disabling EGR and Thermactor

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Genhero
1st Gear Member

Default Disabling EGR and Thermactor

On a 95 GT. Can it be done without hardware (besides my laptop with Binary Editor and a cable)? Is there anyway to do it without Moates QH or SCT? The closest place that can do it for me (that I know of) isn't very close.

I just got the mustang back on the road today but I need to disable the egr and thermactor to get a sticker but I don't want any engine codes to show up if he tries to pull them. I don't want to buy a tuner just yet (I plan on buying it at the end of the summer).

Last edited by Genhero; 04-05-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:50 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

If your not to cheap to buy these then this is what I do: http://rjminjectiontech.com/?p=9
Old 04-05-2010, 11:23 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Being a licensed inspector in mass, I can tell you that if your car is truly registered as a 1995 model year, you have no emissions test to worry about. Only safety.
You do, however, have to pass a visual emissions test to make sure all the required equipment is on the car, but you shouldn't have a problem finding a young kid that likes the car and won't care.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Genhero
1st Gear Member

mjr46, I bought the block off plate and simulator but I haven't checked to see if it still throws the egr code. It says on that page up to 93 mustangs and other fords but I've heard the SN95s still throw the codes, not sure how true it is though.

Mattdel, yep it is definitely a 95 (obdI). I know the dynos got removed because of the cost but I'm more worried about visual. I'm sure I can find someone that won't care but I think it would be better if I didn't rub an air bag light and an engine light in his face (along with not having emission equipment on). Also I've heard the computers are tied directly into the dmv's computer; do they do this with obd1 too or is it all typed in? In Texas they still plugged in my obd1 port to a large machine that I've never seen in Mass before.

Thanks
Old 04-06-2010, 06:38 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Genhero
mjr46, I bought the block off plate and simulator but I haven't checked to see if it still throws the egr code. It says on that page up to 93 mustangs and other fords but I've heard the SN95s still throw the codes, not sure how true it is though.

Mattdel, yep it is definitely a 95 (obdI). I know the dynos got removed because of the cost but I'm more worried about visual. I'm sure I can find someone that won't care but I think it would be better if I didn't rub an air bag light and an engine light in his face (along with not having emission equipment on). Also I've heard the computers are tied directly into the dmv's computer; do they do this with obd1 too or is it all typed in? In Texas they still plugged in my obd1 port to a large machine that I've never seen in Mass before.

Thanks
All the setups will throw the "EGR opening not detected" code with the resistors plug. The problem with the SN95 CBAZA logic is that it causes the CEL to be illuminated with that code, Fox or GUFx strategy will not cause the CEL to turn on even with the code stored. Other than illuminating the CEL, the effect is the same..... the EGR function is eliminated/bypassed by the ECM and no driveability problems are caused.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Genhero
1st Gear Member

Thanks Joel, maybe I'll just pull the lights in the cluster and hope he doesn't check with an OBDI scanner, then put them back after I get the sticker.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:33 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Mass inspection stations don't have EEC-IV testers. If the CEL isn't illuminated, he has no reason to suspect anything is askew.

The testing computer is directly tied into the DMV, yes, but only for the purposes of updating the DMV on the status of your sticker, which parts passed/failed, date/time, shop location, inspector ID#, etc etc.. Emissions testing information has been eliminated for anything not OBD-2. The main reason behind the link-up with the DMV is so that the police departments can access this info when they run your plate, as expired inspection stickers are up on the top of the list in police generated revenue for the state.

There has been a piece of legislation in the works for quite some time now, I don't think it will pass, but anyway... They're trying to institute a law whereas if you do not go for re-inspection within 2 months of your current sticker's expiry date, they suspend your registration.
This has gone over about as well as a fart in church. It's stuck in the registry lobbyists hands and thats about it.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Genhero
1st Gear Member

Great info, thanks a lot. I'll just take out the bulbs until I get it.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:51 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

You seriously thin you are far away from a tuner in Mass??? I know of five tuners that are within 30 minutes of just about anywhere in the RI, MA, and NH area...

the resistor trick will cause the light to stay on. It doesnt work properly with the SN95 cars.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:01 PM
minnow81469
3rd Gear Member

the check engine light will be on when u block that off

Quick Reply: Disabling EGR and Thermactor