5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need advise.. Help....

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 04:11 PM
richklock

Default Need advise.. Help....

1991 Mustang 5.0 GT Convert 38000 miles all original, never driven in winter weather, autocrossed or driven hard.

After I did the spring oil change, the car started bouncing a lot over bumps and rises (the front). Today I took off the front struts and they don't show leaks but.....
I can push the rod in by hand (It's very firm) but cannot pull it out. Both struts act the same. By installing the big washer and nut on the rod I can drive them out but only about 1/6 inch per blow of the rubber hammer.

Does this seem normal for OEM struts? I don't mind replacing them but I don't want to replaces parts chasing a problem.

Amy ideas? Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:28 PM
THOR74
1st Gear Member

Hey Rich;

I've got a '91 GT with 80 000 miles and all original front end. It is a hard riding car, always has been.

When shocks/struts fail, they usually get "softer" and lose their ability to control motion. Since your complaint is about hardness, and there is no visible deterioration in the struts, AND they BOTH seem to be behaving in the same way, I believe that they are alright.

THEREFORE I can, from experience, offer you two potentially simple solutions:

1) Check your tire pressure. When the temperature goes up, tires become harder. If you parked the car last fall in colder weather and it is now warmer your tire pressures have surely gone up. Even a few pounds over on cars like this will cause what you are complaining of. My car calls for 30 psi all around on stock wheels (which I have).

2) Drive the car for awhile and it will "loosen/warm up". I find that my GT has to be driven around for some period of time until it feels like it has awakened from its hibernation. Like a person, everything seems stiff and reluctant in the beginning. A couple of nice cruises always get the juices flowing, so to speak.

Our GTs came with Ford's "Premium" shocks and struts, and I am not getting rid of them until it is truly necessary, as I've found that aftermarket replacement parts such as these are often never as good as the original.

Let us know what happens!

Last edited by THOR74; 04-10-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:02 PM
richklock

Default Ok what now?

Tire pressure 26-28 if anything a little low. Drove the car approx 40 miles interstate, back roads and city, two different days. Since new the car had limited use in the winter but never acted like this. The bouncing becomes dangerous at times.

I know it's not usually a problem but I jacked up the front for the oil change and this would extend the struts to an area not normally used in their travel.

Possible?

Again are OEM struts so stiff when extending out?

Need more ideas please.....
Old 04-10-2010, 05:30 PM
THOR74
1st Gear Member

ok - I think I misunderstood you. When you said "bouncing" I thouht you were complaining of a ride that was too hard and rigid.

I now understand that your problem is LACK of damping at the front end.

Is the car in one piece now? I am a 6'5 320 pound guy, and normally I can grab a car and push it down pretty good to see how it'll react. On my 5.0, when I put my full weight onto the rad support the car barely moves at all. It has always been this way.

In any event, if the front end of your car is now floating and bouncing around (like it shouldn't) then you need to buy some new struts. I believe they may have been gas charged (not sure) and when they fail (in your case due to age, not mileage) and the gas escapes they lose their ability to dampen the ride. You will not see any telltale oil stains on them because the gas cannot be seen.

Trying to manually manipulate the struts is pointless as it takes a lot of pressure to work them properly, unless they are so completely shot.

What is odd is that they both seem to have failed at once, which leads some credence to your "extension" theory. Shock and struts have been known to fail in such a way.

Like I said, they are old and the ride is unsafe - buy some nice new struts and rock on. Be happy the old ones lasted as long as they did.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:32 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

If you push down on the front of your car putting your weight into it the car should bounce up once, if it looks like a boat going over waves, replace the shocks! if they are the original shocks they are 19 year old and have done their job