5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

maf sensor upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 10:18 PM
soliddrummer

Default maf sensor upgrade question

can I use the larger maf from a 94-95 mustang on my 91gt? If so, how do I adapt the plug? Does someone make an adapter?
Old 04-20-2010, 11:01 PM
02WhiteGTVert
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by soliddrummer
can I use the larger maf from a 94-95 mustang on my 91gt? If so, how do I adapt the plug? Does someone make an adapter?
Wtf are you talking about?
Old 04-21-2010, 12:12 AM
soliddrummer

I suspect that my maf sensor has gone bad or is otherwise causing my car to run roughly. Iread in another forum that you can use the maf from a 94-95 mustang on the fox body cars, the opening is actually bigger therefore more airflow. The only problem is, from what I can tell, the sensor plug is different from my 91gt compared th the sn 95 cars.

Make sense?
Old 04-21-2010, 12:14 AM
02WhiteGTVert
3rd Gear Member

I suspect that my maf sensor has gone bad or is otherwise causing my car to run roughly. Iread in another forum that you can use the maf from a 94-95 mustang on the fox body cars, the opening is actually bigger therefore more airflow. The only problem is, from what I can tell, the sensor plug is different from my 91gt compared th the sn 95 cars.

Make sense?
whoaaaa....first off, to diagnose you're issue, what have you done to the car before it started running rough?
Old 04-21-2010, 01:11 AM
soliddrummer

I didn't really do anything. The car has sat for about two years while I was working on other projects. I finally got around to this car, put a battery in it and it fired right up, ran like a champion. I didn't drive it much because I had been doing the body work on it. I then drove it 40 miles to my buddys shop where I painted the car. I was putting all the painted parts on it and decided to go ahead and put the cold air intake on it. I had the cold air kit for a few years, just never got around to installing it. Anyways I put it on started the car up and it ran great as usual. Started to drive it home and as soon as I hit the freeway, suddenly the car loes power and starts running like crap. It acted like it had once before when I had a plug boot a little too close to the header and burnt a hole in it allowing the plug to arc out onthe header, so I assumed it was a similar situation.

I pulled of the freeway and inspected everything that I could, wires all looked good, everything appeared as normal. So I lmped home and started to try to diagnose the problem. I had it scanned and it threw three troble codes. O2 sensors.. Idle air conrol valve and possible egr valve. I was told that the egr valve is probably false because of the car has no fuel control due to failed 02 sensors. So I put in brand new o2 sensors and cleaned the IAC and it still runs crappy.

That's where I'm at and why I've turned my attention to the maf sensor.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:31 AM
02WhiteGTVert
3rd Gear Member

I didn't really do anything. The car has sat for about two years while I was working on other projects. I finally got around to this car, put a battery in it and it fired right up, ran like a champion. I didn't drive it much because I had been doing the body work on it. I then drove it 40 miles to my buddys shop where I painted the car. I was putting all the painted parts on it and decided to go ahead and put the cold air intake on it. I had the cold air kit for a few years, just never got around to installing it. Anyways I put it on started the car up and it ran great as usual. Started to drive it home and as soon as I hit the freeway, suddenly the car loes power and starts running like crap. It acted like it had once before when I had a plug boot a little too close to the header and burnt a hole in it allowing the plug to arc out onthe header, so I assumed it was a similar situation.

I pulled of the freeway and inspected everything that I could, wires all looked good, everything appeared as normal. So I lmped home and started to try to diagnose the problem. I had it scanned and it threw three troble codes. O2 sensors.. Idle air conrol valve and possible egr valve. I was told that the egr valve is probably false because of the car has no fuel control due to failed 02 sensors. So I put in brand new o2 sensors and cleaned the IAC and it still runs crappy.

That's where I'm at and why I've turned my attention to the maf sensor.

check the wire in the MAF. if you've damaged it, it will be obvious. Make sure you didn't hook the wrong vacuum line to the EGR, if you do, it will cause the sound to sound like it has a badass cam. make sure everything is sealed up. can you hear any detonation at WOT? (popcorn sound). it's possible that you sprung a vacuum leak somewhere! keep me updated and i'll try to walk you through this.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:02 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

yes , a 94-95 maf will plug right in
Old 04-21-2010, 12:16 PM
soliddrummer

Ok. I checked and cleaned the maf, it appears to be fine. I also pulled the egr valve and it appears fine. It opens up with a vacuum and stay open, no leaks. I don't hear any detonation on WOT, it acts like it's got an exhaust leak or has a clogged injector or something. It mostly runs good, it's just missing somewhere. I also chased most of the vacuum lines and they all seem fine as well, no hissing or otherwise obvious vacuum issues.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:37 PM
sjd3021
1st Gear Member

if the car sat for 2 yrs, change your gas filter, get new gas, give the car a tune up.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:52 PM
stanks347
2nd Gear Member

Could be BAP sensor too.

Quick Reply: maf sensor upgrade question