5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Engine won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 10:22 PM
somepolish
1st Gear Member

Default Engine won't start

I've tried everything to get my 5.0 to fire. I had it running for about 10 minutes and all of the sudden it just turned off. I tried turning it on again and all it does is turn over. The battery and the alternator are brand new. There is spark coming from the coil and the fuel pump is good. Any suggestions on getting this thing to start up?
Old 08-02-2005, 11:20 PM
86gt5.0HO
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Engine won't start

If you said you got fuel pressure, use a noid light to see if the injsctors are firing. if not the computer could be bad.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:48 AM
DaKAsTrAta

or another idea is that it could be the timing chain come off in the engine its happend to a friend of mine that owns a tractor pulling truck he started it and he was runnin it for 15 to let it warm up got it out on the track and it was like he turnes the key off no noise his motor locked up did yours and what year model is your stang
Old 08-03-2005, 05:36 PM
somepolish
1st Gear Member

It's a 1989 GT. And the timing chain is on. I checked to see if the rotor was spinning and it was so the timing chain should be alright. I'm thinking it can be the ignition module or the computer.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:19 PM
wildstang87
2nd Gear Member

see sticky above......
Old 08-03-2005, 07:36 PM
somepolish
1st Gear Member

if I found what I was looking for I wouldn't have made the topic. People that made past topics either ended up having a fuel pump problem or a coil problem. I have neither.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:57 PM
90GTRagtop
2nd Gear Member

If you're getting spark from the coil, that would tend to rule out the PCM (computer) or TFI (Ignition Module). Have you checked for spark at the plugs (to make sure nothing is wrong in the distributer, cap, button, etc.)? If you have spark at the plugs, have you hooked up a timing light to see if the timing looks close to right? If these things are OK, your electical components are doing the job they are supposed to do. If the spark is OK, next likely problem is fuel. I'm assuming that is still has EFI and hasn't been converted to a carbuerator. If that's the case, and you have sufficent fuel pressure on the rail, then you're probably looking at a probem with the injectors or the noids (which could be a PCM problem on the fuel injector side). Have you tried pulling any codes with an OBD I reader? The PCM may tell you what the problem is.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:15 PM
somepolish
1st Gear Member

I checked the injectors and they're fine. There is spark at the spark plugs too so the distributor should be fine. I can't get the car out of the garage without towing it and I really don't want to do that. I guess I'm gonna have to find someone that can read the codes for me. But tomorrow I'm gonna switch computers with one of my buddies and see if that solves the problem. Also my battery seems to be getting drained from something even though I have nothing on and nothing hooked up.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:37 PM
90GTRagtop
2nd Gear Member

Since it's OBD1 you can get the readings with a jumper (like a paper clip) and an analog DC volt meter. The procedure and codes are shown here http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/ and you connect it like this
Old 08-04-2005, 12:32 AM
wildstang87
2nd Gear Member

how did you check the injectors??? you have to have a special lite called a noid lite to check them, unless you got a really good ear and a few minutes to check for clicking when someone is cranking. how do you know for sure the fuel pressure is good, do you hear the pump prime when you turn the key on?? the reason i ask, is b/cause all you need is fuel, air, spark, and timing for the car to crank, and the timing wont change overnight, and you got spark to the plugs, so you gotta be looking for a fuel problem. let us know.

Quick Reply: Engine won't start