5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How do you stab in the dizzy? GRR!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 04:08 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

Default How do you stab in the dizzy? GRR!!

I am getting mixed info on how to install the dizzy on my 95gt, Here is how i thought you do it, please correct me if I'm wrong,

1. Turn balancer to tdc ( 0* mark on the balancer) on its compression stroke,
2. stab dizzy into the block, making sure the cut line on the bottom of the dizzy is matched up with the cut line in the block, and point the pointer to the #1 sparkplug,
making sure the cut lines match up and the pointer is pointed at the #1 plugwire.
3. Use timing gun to get to 10-14*

Now please correct me if I'm wrong

Do you even have to line the cut marks up?

I know pro50 has a write about this but one thing doesnt make sense, he tells me to put the dizzy cut line mark to the edge of the casting just left of the cut line on the block ( cut lines are at the bottom of the dizzy) he says thats 0* than the cutline on the block is 10* how is that possible? because you turn the dizzy clockwise to advance the timing so how would turning it back to the line (counterclockwise) get you to 10* wouldn't that be retarding the timing? Im super confused some one let me know if my instructions are right or wrong, I sent pro50 an email today so im waiting on his reply, please help thanks
Old 05-15-2010, 04:14 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Make sure cylinder 1 is at TDC compression, position the dizzy so that any connections will clear the radiator hose/intake etc(should put the tick mark lining up) and then rotate the rotor so it's pointing to the cap terminal for cylinder #1 and stab it....it make require pulling/stabbing a few times to get the pump drive shaft and gears to line up. You can also use a small hex socket and extension to turn the pump shaft a bit to line everything up. Then when it's in, turn the dizzy if needed to make sure the rotor is still pointing at the terminal for cylinder #1. Start it and time it.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:15 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

edit: hmmmm
Old 05-15-2010, 04:36 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

So were my instructions wrong? or right? so you line the cutline on the bottom of the dizzy up with the cut line on the block, you line them up perfectly, than make sure your pointer is pointing at #1 or close to it than stab it, and if needed with dizzy already stabbed into place turn the dizzy so its at #1? is that right?

Last edited by kennebellgt; 05-15-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:53 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

What matters is that cylinder 1 is at TDC compression and the rotor is pointing to the terminal on the cap for cylinder 1.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:05 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

oh so me aligning the cut line on the dizzy up with the edge of the casting ( the casting edge right to the left of the cut line in the block) than putting it to #1 is fine like it is? cause it seem's like a have a tiny misfire when driving now.

I had the balancer to 0*
Old 05-15-2010, 05:26 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

also can too much timing cause the small misfire? I hear no pinging at ALL
Old 05-15-2010, 07:20 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

did you even bother to check the sticky tech articles here?? there is a excellent write up on stabbing the dizzy
Old 05-15-2010, 07:21 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by kennebellgt
also can too much timing cause the small misfire? I hear no pinging at ALL
I doubt timing is the cause of your misfire...elaborate on your prob please
Old 05-15-2010, 07:48 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

I know about the sticky, I was confused on pro50's write up because he tells me to line the dizzy cutline up with the edge of the end of the casting, than turn it counter clockwise to the cutline on the block, but turning the dizzy counterclockwise retards timing, so would turning it back to the line retard it? I replaced my dizzy exactly how his write up said to do, and now the car has a very small miss though out all rpms, and at high rpms it bogs out real bad, this all started happening after a changed the dizzy, I thought you were supposed to line the dizzy cutline and the block cutline up with eachother so there perfectly inline with eachother than stab dizzy and point pointer to #1, thats how i though it went. is that how it goes? or are you supposed to line up the cutline in the dizzy up with the edge of the casting because thats how i did it, so which way is it supposed to be? cutlines in block and on dizzy lined up with eachother or no?

Another thing is when i stabbed the dizzy in it didnt quite make it to the center of the pointer on the #1 plug, it was a little off, like the pointer has the center than has those points that go out left and right well the #1 plug was right about at the left far edge of the pointer not the center, and no matter how i turned the dizzy it would not go perfectly into the center of the pointer just that far left edge of it, I just replaced my harmonic balancer yesterday thinking it may have been slipped but it wasn't.

when I stabbed the dizzy in and the #1 plug was on the very far left edge of the pointer not the center like it should have been I just turned the dizzy with it stabbed in to get the #1 plug to the center of the pointer, I turned it like i was timing it, than after that I timed it to 12*

Im so frustrated

Quick Reply: How do you stab in the dizzy? GRR!!