5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Frustrated steering

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 12:57 AM
topdown5.0

Default Frustrated steering

I do not know the characteristics of the 1987 Mustang I bought about 3 months and have replaced rack, struts, pump and aligned.....seemed to have made very little differance on the steering. It does not like to com back to center after tuning and tends to not have a easy feel at all....almost like manual steering. PLEASE HELP.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:20 AM
wildstang87
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Frustrated steering

sounds like youre caster isnt set ahead enough, thats where i would start, if you got a printout when you had the alignment done post it up, or tell me what the LF, RF, and cross caster are, i can see if thats the problem. as for the stiffness, you might have gotten a defective pump, if its that hard to turn. or your base idle is too low to turn the pump enough to turn the wheels easily. let me know.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:49 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

What do you have for rims and tires??
Old 08-06-2005, 01:02 AM
topdown5.0

Thanx for replying, I do not know what my caster is set at...I was peeved at the shop after second visit for align they didn't do right the first time and threw the paperwork away, big mistake I now know. It doesn't turn THAT hard and tries to come back to center.....sort of. All the parts I replaced myself, the pump twice, first was bad. and have alighned it myself toe and camber anyway, not sure how to adjust caster, maybe shim where it bolts to spindle ? just guessed at the toe about 3/8 toe in and camber at 0. I have stock rims and basic all seasons 60 series tires in new cond. If you could offer any more help I would appreciate it. Thanx guys.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:04 AM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

You done the aligment yourself????With what........[>:]And caster will not have any effect on the steering,since the only thing it can cause would be a pull,if the caster has more than a 0.5 degree differnce it will always cause to pull to the low side hince R.1.5,L.2.1 it will pull to the left,but WILL NOT effect steering or tire wear,and i should know since i do them 6 days a week.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:30 AM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

I would buy a set of camber plates..I bet the car might have been in a fender/bender
Old 08-07-2005, 12:35 AM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

Caster does have something to do with the lining up of the tires. Make sure there is a positive caster.

Check this picture out for help. http://www.maximummotorsports.com/cc.asp

As you notice positive caster means the tire is recessed back.

Now you think it doesn't affect tires going straight again? Just think of the wheels on a shopping cart. The actual bearing is behind the point of swivle. This allows the wheel to straighten out. Now if you turn it around to where the bearing is in front. When pushed in a certain direction the wheel just turns itself around and point the direction it is going again....same thing with caster.

Also the speed you want the wheels to straighten to center is affected by a toe in setting. It is only needed very very little considering the more toe in you get the more uneccesary wear you get on the tires. But if caster is set properly...then a toe in condition is not needed...allowing the tires to wear a LOT less.

I agree with vfast. Even if you don't need the CC plates...they provide a LOT easier approach to do it yourself people on alignment. So go grab some. They are everywhere and the cheapest are still (well hopefully) better than stock.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:15 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

How do you do an alignment yourself without an alignment rack?
Old 08-07-2005, 01:21 AM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pure5.0

Caster does have something to do with the lining up of the tires. Make sure there is a positive caster.

Check this picture out for help. http://www.maximummotorsports.com/cc.asp

As you notice positive caster means the tire is recessed back.

Now you think it doesn't affect tires going straight again? Just think of the wheels on a shopping cart. The actual bearing is behind the point of swivle. This allows the wheel to straighten out. Now if you turn it around to where the bearing is in front. When pushed in a certain direction the wheel just turns itself around and point the direction it is going again....same thing with caster.

Also the speed you want the wheels to straighten to center is affected by a toe in setting. It is only needed very very little considering the more toe in you get the more uneccesary wear you get on the tires. But if caster is set properly...then a toe in condition is not needed...allowing the tires to wear a LOT less.

I agree with vfast. Even if you don't need the CC plates...they provide a LOT easier approach to do it yourself people on alignment. So go grab some. They are everywhere and the cheapest are still (well hopefully) better than stock.
Caster has nothing to do with tire wear,and with a toe in codition is only nessacery when you have low camber to try to compensate for the low camber which will give you better tire wear,but with positive camber you will want a slight toe out condition,and i really don't see why you're trying to argue with me since i do alingments for a living,among other things so i don't need to hear what caster or camber will do.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:27 PM
wildstang87
2nd Gear Member

just because you do alignments for a living doesnt mean you understand them fully, im not trying to bash you as you probably are a good tech, but you really should do some research as to how the differant aspects affect differant things. i also did alignments for a long time. everything you said about caster is correct except that it does have alot to do with the return of the wheel. the europeans use a whole lot, usually between 6-11° of positive caster. this gives them a very stable feel at high speeds, but makes them harder to turn a low speeds. this is FACT, and if you dont believe me oh well. im just getting very tired of hearing people give VERY wrong information.

Quick Reply: Frustrated steering