5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Burning oil...blow by?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 12:00 AM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

Angry Burning oil...blow by?

Hey all,

so on top of my leaking drain plugs im burning some oil as well. ive been making sure to keep adding oil, been checking regularly so i dont over fill. when i start the car, no blue smoke...when revving or moderate-heavy acceleration i get blue smoke...what bothers me most is when im accelerating and have to stop quickly...i get a cloud of smoke that follows me to my stop.

is this blow-by? im frustrated because the motor has been out of the car before, supposedly has a B303 cam..but my car sounds like a factory idle, my mods are in my sig (to my knowledge, the guy told me it had the cam, stock heads ported, and pistons???) doesnt make much sense to me because im still running speed density, and there is NO paperwork proving the work. but despite the FRPP cams weak performance, dont they have distinct idles?

i dont have any reason to take the motor out now to look, so im not going to. also, ive got sport-comp gauges in my dash...my oil pressure will sometimes read a steady 25psi or a steady 50psi, or even 25psi at idle and 50psi under engine load (which i thought was normal) i checked the connection on my sending unit, which looks brand new...could not be though, and its on and secure. im kind of stumped.

this weekend im going to buy new drain plugs, replace them with new gaskets to try and stop the leak, till then im gunna keep watching my oil.

any help would be appreciated! I CAN take a video if my car at idle, with rev to see if i can catch the blue cloud...also a vid of my pressure gauge for better understanding. thanks to all in advance.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:09 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Probably. On the bright side, it really isn't a problem until it stops using oil.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:12 AM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

lol what do you mean by that? eventually it will stop? or itll run so low on oil...itll seize? im gunna take a vid tmr morning of everything. hopefully it will be useful
Old 05-31-2010, 12:19 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

yeah when it stops it doesn't run any more.

Only way it could be getting oil in it besides blow by would we sucking it in through the intake. Maybe something in the head but, I doubt it with those symptoms. With your symptoms, it is probably a worn engine.

How much oil is it using and what color is the smoke? When you said drain plugs, did you mean for the oil? or is it actually not using as much oil as you are putting in?
Old 05-31-2010, 12:27 AM
muzzy
1st Gear Member

Ok let’s see if I can help! No1 Check your PCV, if its plugged that’s why you have the leaks. Get a new one and this will help. No2 Run full synthetic oil in your car, this should help stop the big cloud of smoke. No3 Yes you have blow by, your car needs a ring job.
Thanx-Muzzy 04 S281SC Convertible #355
42#
JLT cold air
JDM SCT 93 oct tune
90mm maf
75mm TB
Ported and Polished SC by PSE
Mosaleen pulley sys
Gaterback belt
NGK tr6 @034
2.9 pulley
Chicane ss braded IC lines
Carbon fiber dash kit and shift ****
1 bottle of water wetter (haha)
Old 05-31-2010, 12:31 AM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

its leaking oil as well as burning. :/

when i bought the car the plugs werent leaking...when i changed the oil they started to leak...theyre tight. im going to try to replace them with new plugs and washers. as well as top it off for oil this weekend.

its blue smoke for sure. no idea how many miles are on the motor, but the block is painted red. so i know it has been out...its not filthy but that doesnt mean jack...the title said 61,000. but it was an old title from like 97 i think. ODO on the car now says 88,4xx. but its also got Ford Motorsport 160 gauges. so everything to me is unknown, VIN matched the title...unless you could special order 160 gauges from the factory back then?
Old 05-31-2010, 12:33 AM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

also, when i changed the oil i switched to motorcraft 5w30 snythetic blend...pretty sure the PCV has been regasketed as well, let me check the receipts he gave me.

edit: just checked some of the slips he gave me...says on one of them "oil level seal" dont think thats the PCV. but im almost positive its my drain plugs, because im getting small spots under each plug when the car sits for a while. also saw that he was running 10w30 oil. could this be a reason why ive got smoke? cause i went down in weight?

Last edited by TopNotch89; 05-31-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:02 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

If would be best to go up in weight instead of down. I would go back to conventional too just because it is cheaper.

The pcv valve gets clogged, it will cause the engine to blow seals. There is also a screen that sits under the pcv valve. If it gets clogged, it will blow seals quickly.

I am not for certain what an "oil level seal" is unless it is a seal around the dipstick.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:53 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

sounds like a hurt engine to me.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:12 AM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

I'd switch back to a convential oil and go higher weight. I know before i swapped my engine i swapped to mobil 1 synthetic and i had leaks pop up out of nowhere.

Are you sure it's coming out of the drain plugs, and not a rear main seal?

Quick Reply: Burning oil...blow by?