5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

89 Foxbody Shifting problems!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 01:33 PM
LiveFastDriveFaster
1st Gear Member

Default 89 Foxbody Shifting problems!

I have an 89 5.0. No aftermarket stuff for the tranny. I just recently pulled the motor and did all the seals and gaskets minus cylinder heads, and lower intake. I got everything back together and got it all running. I haven't swapped out any tranny parts yet such as trans mount, cross member, u-joints. all things that will come when I have more money.

The Problem. First, Second, Fourth, and Fifth gear are a serious pain to get into. Third falls right in perfectly with no problems at all. I have to really fight them to get them in. Wasn't a problem before the dis-assembly and rebuild. I have read thru my chilton manual and found that my model had a self adjusting clutch. I tried following its directions to adjust it thru the pedal it self thinking this would resolve my problem. Still a pain and heard no click when adjusting as it said I should have. Any help would be great as my chilton manual has nothing on manually adjusting the clutch cable. That's what I think is wrong but I'm not sure. Thank You all ahead of time!
Old 06-03-2010, 02:21 PM
rockhead

I'm not expert but some thoughts for you.
Did you replace the motormounts??? If so are sure the tranny and motor mated in alignment?? Try loosing up the mounts(tranny and motor) take it for a short easy drive and tighten them back up.
Is the clutch pedal more stiff than it used to be? If so your throwout bearing might be binding up take off the clutch lever cover and have someone push it in a few times make sure the full range of motion is working.

What kind of shifting problems are you having grinding etc?? or just hard to shift. Does the clutch fully disengage? Might want to check the fluid in the tranny perhaps you have a leak from the front or rear seal??? Atf mercon
Old 06-03-2010, 07:26 PM
88LXSTANG
1st Gear Member

You need to get a new setup for the clutch cable. Firewall adjuster, new quadrant and a stock cable cause the stock ones are stronger.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:14 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

i would dump the stocker b4 you wreck it

i smoked a brand new motorsport clutch in 400 miles due to the stock junk

the stock plastic breaks, chips teeth etc. and after 20 + years... is brittle from heat
Old 06-03-2010, 10:07 PM
LiveFastDriveFaster
1st Gear Member

No new clutch or anything like that. No grinding either just a serious pain to find 1 2 4 and 5th gear. clutch pedal isnt any harder to press so im pretty sure the throw out bearing is seated correctly. as for the range of motion ill check that out tommorow and see. I check daily since the rebuild where its parked for fluid spots under the car and haven't seen anything yet. ill check it all out tho and see thanks.

Stocker??? sorry not sure what your talkin bout. stock clutch?
Old 06-04-2010, 09:44 AM
88LXSTANG
1st Gear Member

Trust me you need the billet quadrant and firewall adjuster. I had the same problem and after I bought the kit from summit and adjusted it...worked perfect. Until I broke the clutch cable. Thats why I recomend getting a new stock cable. They're alot stronger
Old 06-04-2010, 01:49 PM
LiveFastDriveFaster
1st Gear Member

Gonna have to wait a little while on buying that. I'm all out of cash right now. Hope you don't think I ignored you the first time around just tryin everything i can while im out of money. I looked into that an they run about a hundred bucks. Would this one work? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SDA-070-2000/
Old 06-04-2010, 01:59 PM
02WhiteGTVert
3rd Gear Member

I had the same problem with my '86 Coupe after replacing the clutch. you need a firewall adjuster.