5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Speed density idle problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 05:06 PM
daniel93gt

Default Speed density idle problems

Hello everyone. I know this subject has to have been brought up in here a million times but none the less I need some help. What I have is a 93 mustang gt. I have taken the engine out of the mustang and put it into an 88 f-150 with and automatic. The engine fine ran at first with no problems, but now at idle I have surging problems( typical of head and cam mods), and I need help on smothing it out. I engine is a 302 bored .40 flat top pistons, ported e7te's, truck upper and lower intake, truck tb, stock 19lb injectors, truck computer, and an e303. I have terrible surging problems at idle and cant seem to get it smoothed out. Also the engine dies when I first put it in gear and also when I pull up to a light. I have the timing set at 10deg with the spout connector out and the computer advances it to about 14 with the connector in. I thought about using the mustang parts and converting the truck to mass air, but i am not real sure what all it you have to do. The mustang computer I have is an a3m1 which is a mass air computer for a 5 speed. If I do the conversion will the computer work with the automatic? Would a stall converter help the surging and dying problem? The harness in the mustang is butchered but I think I can do the conversion with just the wires going to the maf meter right? Can the conversion be simplified if I just bought another harness? If so which harness would work, any chance of plug and play? Any and all help will be appreciated. thanks
Daniel
Old 08-06-2005, 05:38 PM
wildstang87
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Speed density idle problems

you need to put a vacuum gauge on it first of all.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:42 PM
daniel93gt

do I just hook the vacuum guage up to any port? what am I looking for?
Daniel
Old 08-06-2005, 09:16 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

You're looking to see what kind of vacuum numbers you have...
Old 08-07-2005, 02:46 PM
daniel93gt

When the engine is not surging It holds about 19psi vacuum. when it surges it fluctuates from 15 to 19 and drops to about 5psi I cleaned the act, tb, iac, and my tps voltage is set at .95v. Today on the way to work it died on my twice while coming up to a light if I come to a stop slowly and pop it into neutral it will stay running. But it will stall if I make an stop quickly without putting it into neutral and it will also die if I put it into neutral while quickly stopping. The only way to keep it running it to slowly stop and then pop it into neutral. I thinking that maybe If I got a stall converter it might help some. any thoughts?
Old 08-07-2005, 03:41 PM
wildstang87
2nd Gear Member

i doubt a stall will help you, sounds like youre power brakes are robbing too much vacuum, you might need to get a vacuum resevoir, what is the base idle set at?? you know 5.0s dont like to idle below 900rpm.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:22 PM
daniel93gt

well the truck does have a vacuum canister and the brakes seem to work fine. I am not real sure what the idle is set at, the 88 f-150 doesnt have a tach.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:48 PM
wildstang87
2nd Gear Member

the brakes wont be affected. oh yeah, the f150 have the coffee can looking canister right. hmmm. i would just bring the idle up a little, and drive it, see if that helps. also, summit sells the maf conversion for the trucks, you will probably have to look into converting it eventualy. i just remembered having that same problem on a stock F150 a few years ago, it turned out the egr was stuck open a little, might wanna clean it out, or check it atleast.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:38 PM
settled4automatic
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wildstang87

the brakes wont be affected. oh yeah, the f150 have the coffee can looking canister right. hmmm. i would just bring the idle up a little, and drive it, see if that helps. also, summit sells the maf conversion for the trucks, you will probably have to look into converting it eventualy. i just remembered having that same problem on a stock F150 a few years ago, it turned out the egr was stuck open a little, might wanna clean it out, or check it atleast.
or rip it out and plug it
Old 08-07-2005, 08:31 PM
daniel93gt

how do I fool the computer to think its operating fine?

Quick Reply: Speed density idle problems