5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Headers and h-pipe removal...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 01:32 AM
cepowers18
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Headers and h-pipe removal...

ORIGINAL: 1991_5.0_Convertible
We've tried everything to get that 02 sensor out and it just won't budge, I've been soaking it in WD-40 for the past 3 nights, Hopefully when we get the H-pipe out we can get it out then. We are going to have to cut the collector studs out, the nuts are too rusted. This sucks, this is harder than I thought, but I'm really close to getting everything out. I should get atliest the new H-pipe tomorrow and if I'm lucky I'll get the new headers in also.
Just go out and buy a 10" extension (if the 6" doesn't work), use a smaller socket head if you stripped it so much, and crank that SOB off there. Like dc_mann8 and NegadivOne said, just takes a socket and a little bit of elbow grease.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:52 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Okay, I don't think that you guys understand how rusted this stuff is. It holds just as good as a weld lol. I have a 10" extension, and it rounded the edges off the nuts (because of the rust). I got one of the bolts off with one more to go (after about two hours) and I'm getting ready to go to bed. And don't worry I'm not doing anything wrong it's just why in the hell is this stuff sooo rusted! I'm hoping that I can get the 02 sensor off on the one side, how much is a single 02 sensor (I know that they are kinda pricey)?
Old 08-10-2005, 02:38 AM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

is there any way to get vice grips onto the stripped nut?? or do you have access to a welder? weld a new nut to the stripped one.. then put ur socket on the new one.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:24 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

I really don't think that I have a pair of vices that will reach up that far, but my dad and I are going to get it out tomorrow night no matter what lol, he's bringing more stuff from the tool crib. The welding a new nut on there is a good idea but neither TIG or MIG would reach up that high. This picture is of what is left side of the flange that connects the headers and the h-pipe that we had to grind to death with the drimmel to get apart. The other bolt that needs to be removed is on the other side I'll try and get a picture of that and my pain in the **** 02 sensor.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:44 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Here's a better picture with everything, maybe give you guys a better idea, this is on the right side, and I'm laying on a creeper to take these pictures so imagine you are lying on your backs. These pictures don't serve these things justice lol, they are a big pain in the *** and maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing, but I'm sure atliest one other person has gone through this...
Take a look at my professional diagram

Old 08-10-2005, 01:59 PM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

Those pictures make me feel like I'm in some kind of cave. Do you have the car jacked up? If so maybe you can jack up higher. This will give you more movability around the underside of the car.

Also use "Liquid Wrench" for the rust....not WD-40. WD-40 will work but "Liquid Wrench" from Gunk literally works 10 times better. Also since you say there is so much rust that is what caused you to strip your nut. The rust on the outside gives the feel that the bolt is larger than it really is. This means you use a larger socket. And when you start to apply huge amounts of the torque the rust crumbles leaving the real size of the nut. Then your socket is too large leading to a stripped application. What you sometimes have to do is know the exact size of the bolt and use that size socket and if it doesn't fit...hammer it on.

Also try using an impact gun and if you don't have one make one. This means one of you (you or your dad) try to wrench it off while the other hits it with a hammer. Not to damage it, just to vibrate it. Use a bigger socket rachet so that you can apply more power properly and not use all the strength you have and drop the efficiency of your control. More control is easier to take out stubborn bolts.

But honestly try "Liquid Wrench" and let that soak for a few hours...hit it up a couple of times to break it loose then give it a shot.

Also make sure the socket is straight with the nut. Any degree off and stripping it (even with the right size socket) can come into play. If you can't get it strait find some socket joints and make it happen.

Good luck.

Exhaust Nut[sm=shootshoot.gif]
Old 08-10-2005, 02:31 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

The car is lifted all the way, there's plenty of room, I'll try the smaller socket here in a minute and yes I have an impact gun. I have no way to get to a store right now I live about 20 minutes out of town, I'll see if my dad can get it on his way home from work. Thanks again and sorry for the drama.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:36 PM
Fresh
1st Gear Member

hey, what were you trying to take out the o2 sensors for? you can just unplug them if it was for the removal proccess, or are you trying to re-use them for the new h-pipe? i just blew out my clutch, so i was in the same "type" situation under my car with jack stands pulling out the h-pipe. i had no where near the trouble you are though, and thats with hand tools. sorry for the luck man
Old 08-10-2005, 10:56 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Alright guys things are going kinda good. I got the headers and the h-pipe removed and I can't get this 02 sensor out. Anyone gotta spare one laying around? I think that I might get a head start and put the new headers in and wait to put everything else back in till I get the 02 sensor.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:12 PM
91lxstang
5th Gear Member

man im lucky the cause my h pipe just came in and i wont have to mess with those old rusty bolts cause the tranny shop put all new bolts on my exhaust for me! sry ur havin so much ttrouble man and try usin liquid wrench like pure5.0 said cause it is 10 times better

Quick Reply: Headers and h-pipe removal...