MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Headers and h-pipe removal... (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/60711-headers-and-h-pipe-removal.html)

92hatchLX 08-08-2005 12:26 AM

Headers and h-pipe removal...

This isn't as easy as it sounded at first, I'm sure that I can get it but I don't want to take off anything that isn't required. What exactly did you guys have to take off to get those headers out of there lol. And the bolts that connect the headers to the h-pipe, there are two that are tucked in there that look like they are a bitch to get off. Any tips will help! I'm in the process of taking everything off right now... I can't wait to get those new headers and h-pipe in there! :D

ACE 08-08-2005 12:29 AM

RE: Headers and h-pipe removal...

..If you got new to replace the old..TORCH,FLAMEWRENCH,HOTWRENCH. whatever your region calls it haha

Pure5.0 08-08-2005 01:05 AM

Soak the bolts with "liquid wrench" or some kind of rust detergent and leave them overnight. Then take a large rachet or breaker bar and a few joints (tools, not the misc activity creator) and try to break them loose. If that doesn't work try using extensions and joints and an impact gun. Still doesn't work....cut them out.

92hatchLX 08-08-2005 02:08 AM

I'm about to say just **** it all and get the oxy-asseteline torch (I know that I didn't spell that right) and cut them bastards out! lol. I've got everything out except for the two collector bolts that are hiding behind the headers.

92hatchLX 08-08-2005 03:40 AM

I got the left side header off! But I can't get either of the right side collector bolts out, I stripped (I think) the one that's tucked way up high and I can't reach it with a torch so maybe I'll try a smaller socket [&:]. Anyone wanna come over and help :D jk. Any suggestions on geting them out? I think I might pull out the saw tomorrow and do some hackin'.

Xasthur 08-08-2005 04:11 AM

People have been telling me this should be easy. Never done it myself but this is giving me second thoughts.... :eek:

92hatchLX 08-08-2005 03:50 PM

It's not hard (kinda lol), it's just having the right tools and the patience and the brains to get the stuff out.

Xasthur 08-08-2005 04:31 PM

Well good luck. Let me know how it went...

JoHnNy sAvAgE 08-08-2005 04:45 PM

yea I wanna know how it went with the h-pipe... is it off road or catted???

NegadivOne 08-08-2005 05:58 PM

I installed an offroad H on my stang it wasn't too hard to get those flange bolts off with socket and extention. Just took a bit of rust remover and elbow grease.