5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Over Heating,Bogging down

Old 07-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Blown89houtex

Default Over Heating,Bogging down

Ok guys, i have recently bolted on a Paxton SN 2000 on my 89 Mustang. it has heads, cam,cobra intake, the works.... before the blower, it never heated up nor did it feel like it was bogging down. When i had the blower installed I also had 24lb injectors added along with a 255 fuel pump.

Now, the car heats up to 250 degrees according to the temp gauge and it feels like its bogging down.... does anybody have any ideas??
Old 07-03-2010, 09:58 AM
zebo87
2nd Gear Member

with the new injectors you should have recalibrated the maf for those injectors. when installing the blower did you remove the distributor, if so then timing would be the place to start. good luck
Old 07-03-2010, 10:30 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

have the air fuel ratio checked
Old 07-03-2010, 11:43 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

injectors arent large enough... sounds to me like you havent got a clue what you are doing, and should probably let a professional take over from here on out.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:59 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
injectors arent large enough... sounds to me like you havent got a clue what you are doing, and should probably let a professional take over from here on out.
I really think he maybe on to something with this.

That being said 24s are not near big enough. are you running a FMU? What spark plug is in it and did you step down in heat ranges and did you close up the gap? What is the timing set at? What kind of boost is it set up for? what rad is in it. the engine is gone to be making more power and may need better cooling not real hard to understand. What mass air is being used? MOST S/C set ups are not bolt on and go they need to be played with / tuned. you need to do some research that 2000 is a killer S/C and is more then willing to make Big HP if you know what you are doing. How much HP are you trying to make.

Last edited by uedlose; 07-04-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Blown89houtex

Originally Posted by zebo87
with the new injectors you should have recalibrated the maf for those injectors. when installing the blower did you remove the distributor, if so then timing would be the place to start. good luck
the MAF is calibrated for 24 # injectors and nope, the distributor was not touched....
Old 07-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Blown89houtex

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
what size injectors do you suggest to use?? and this was done by a pro ....
Old 07-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Blown89houtex

Originally Posted by uedlose
I really think he maybe on to something with this.

That being said 24s are not near big enough. are you running a FMU? What spark plug is in it and did you step down in heat ranges and did you close up the gap? What is the timing set at? What kind of boost is it set up for? what rad is in it. the engine is gone to be making more power and may need better cooling not real hard to understand. What mass air is being used? MOST S/C set ups are not bolt on and go they need to be played with / tuned. you need to do some research that 2000 is a killer S/C and is more then willing to make Big HP if you know what you are doing. How much HP are you trying to make.
What size injectors do you suggest to use?? Would you like to hear what set up im running, maybe you can give me some pointers??yes im running a FMU.... it definately needs to be tuned....
Old 07-05-2010, 05:26 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by Blown89houtex
what size injectors do you suggest to use?? and this was done by a pro ....
42#, get a good maf, and throw the FMU in the trash
Old 07-05-2010, 08:33 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blown89houtex
What size injectors do you suggest to use?? Would you like to hear what set up im running, maybe you can give me some pointers??yes im running a FMU.... it definately needs to be tuned....
This is the 3rd time I have tried posting the Fing web site keeps kicking me back to a log in page...

Yes, I want to hear your whole combo. I would say the 42# would be fine like said with a GOOD mass air I have done this also in the pass and it worked fine with NO tune at all but if you want near perfect idle and the most out of it then a tune would help.
The falling on its face thing is it at low RPM or high under boost? Again what plug is in it? Did you drop down in heat range? Did you close up the gap. you could be having spark blow out. What is the F/P set at? Getting rid of the FMU is a good idea it is more of a band-aid then the right fix. the falling on the face could also be gone real LEAN!! Do you own a wide band ? if not it is a good investment with a power adder car. Again whats the timing at (very important ) with a power adder car? What is psi. pulley is on the S/C? Tell us more..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Over Heating,Bogging down