5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Its official-- just sealed the deal on the '89 GT 'vert! Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 01:03 AM
MolonLabe

Default Its official-- just sealed the deal on the '89 GT 'vert! Pics!

Hey all, I'm pretty excited tonight becuase I just sealed the deal on that '89 GT convertible earlier today! Woohooo!

I test drove it again, this time with the top down, and checked all functions. Quizzed the owner about the car's past to see how honest he was being with me. He was totally upfront about the car's history (I carfaxed it last night, wrote down the VIN earlier without telling him), it was wrecked and fixed before he got it and the title is a salvage title. I know the car was hit on the front, then it sat for awhile as it was totally gone through and repainted, which is fine with me, because they did a good job. This means I don't have to do any bodywork, all the shocks are fresh, the alignment is perfect, and the headlights aren't yellowed (that was my first hint that the car had been redone, no original '89 would have clear headlights). It also means that the car's resale value goes to hell, which is fine with me too since I'm the buyer and not the seller. At least the odometer hasn't been messed with, it shows 78k which is correct. The car has no radio (great, I don't have to yank the stocker out and throw it away), the A/C needs to be recharged, the cruise control doesn't work, and the check engine light is on (probably an 02 sensor since the engine runs great, like I was going to keep the stock exhaust anyway! Muhahaha...)

After negotiating with the owner about these horrible issues that I will have to pay SOOO much money to fix just as soon as I buy the car, plus the fact that I'll NEVER be able to resell due to that cancerous salvage title, I was able to knock him from his asking price of $4,500 to a final sale price of $3,600. For an '89 GT 'vert that runs and drives great and needs no body or paint work, I think its a fair deal, salvage title or not. What do you guys think? Looks like I'll be here on Mustangforums for awhile now! Woohoo!

Old 08-09-2005, 01:09 AM
luckypballer
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Its official-- just sealed the deal on the '89 GT 'vert! With pic whoring!

Body looks straight as an arrow, and the paint is nice. I say job well done, some of the guys on here pay $3000+ for complete piles. Looks like it would be tons of fun
Old 08-09-2005, 01:10 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Its official-- just sealed the deal on the '89 GT 'vert! With pic whoring!

WOW that thing's sexy! Nice vert , I'm painting mine white as soon as I can scrounge up the money. Welcome to the forums, check out my car domain page and lemme know what you think.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:17 AM
MolonLabe

Lucky, I saw you took your car to the drags in your other thread, do they have open drags at Heatland Park or did you have to roll over to KCIR here? Once I get this thing titled and all I'm going to run a baseline on it at KCIR and see what it does totally bone stock with the 2.73 gears, check engine light on, factory timing, etc. Then redo the timing right there at the track, ditch the EGR, the intake silencer, and all that stuff, and see what kind of improvement I can get with still a factory stock motor. That'll be a good baseline for once I free up the exhaust, then intake, etc....

Anyway, if you ever hit KCIR maybe we could meet up and do those baseline runs, since this car is new to me I sure could use all the the help I can get.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:20 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

I think you've got the wrong guy lol, that's okay. I live in Colorado, but if you need help with some stuff I can try and help you out.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:40 AM
badtzmaru
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Its official-- just sealed the deal on the '89 GT 'vert! Pics!

great deal and congrat! she looks very sexy! congrats!
Old 08-09-2005, 02:18 AM
MolonLabe

ORIGINAL: 1991_5.0_Convertible

I think you've got the wrong guy lol, that's okay. I live in Colorado, but if you need help with some stuff I can try and help you out.
1991_5.0_Convertible, I was talking to luckypballer, he's in Wichita, KS which is just a hop, skip 'n a jump from me. I saw your cardomain page, according to that you haven't gotten your license yet? When I was 16 the SN95 hadn't even come out yet and the fox chassis was still the latest thing. So I'm sort of jealous that you've got your V8 convertible already, it took me until I was nearly 30 years old to get mine!
Old 08-09-2005, 02:20 AM
luckypballer
2nd Gear Member

Lol i was racing at WIR (Wichita international raceway) its like a mile from my house. we have track night every wensday and friday night for time only runs. I will be making a trip to heartland park in september for the Fun ford weekend, but i dont know if the mustang is coming with me .
Old 08-09-2005, 02:59 AM
5.0coupe
3rd Gear Member

Hell ya man! thats a good buy. Withbody and paint like that your gonna be crusing.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:05 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

really nice car man but i see something i dont like at all. look at the one pic of the car. your right rear wheel isnt centered in the wheel well. kinda saying the axle is back further then it needs to be

also nothign wrong with a salvage for resale. well kinda. a salvage [according to PA state] title is a state of condition between a clean title and a R title. its what a car or truck or bike becomes after teh insurance company totals it. then a buyer builds it up back to stock apperaring and then sends away for the R title. which stands for reconstructed. and with a R title the only major flaw for selling one is trade in valve. since they already know its been damaged badly. now with a R title it has to meet saftety and state regulations so it can be a safe vehicle. so with an R its not different then a clean title except the R o nthe title

but again i like the paint skeme to bad you have to have that damm plate on the front of that car

Quick Reply: Its official-- just sealed the deal on the '89 GT 'vert! Pics!