5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Torque Link

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 04:18 PM
NegadivOne
3rd Gear Member

Default Torque Link

Does anyone know how a torque link such as this one installs?

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...-4010&x=22&y=8

Do you have to drill a hole into the head? And is there drilling needed on the frame too?
Old 08-10-2005, 06:08 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Torque Link

should bolt to the sway bar mounting bolts and the one head bolt. there are bolts in the head
Old 08-10-2005, 07:50 PM
NegadivOne
3rd Gear Member

Does anybody have this one their car? How much difference does it make?
Old 08-10-2005, 11:44 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

i have it on my car.
pics at http://www.koolpages.com/potatohell/trucks.html (almost at the bottom)
it works really well. i bought it cause i have a 3/8" heat spacer and i already had to remove the heat sheild from the hood and grind some of the hood structure from underneath because of clearance. even then when ever i gave it any gas, even on street tires, the motor would twist and slam into the hood. the intake manifold has 2 deep gouges in it from hitting the hood. i bought the link to keep the engine from moving around. i have it on at all times, track or street and there is absolutely no vibration. actually, there is less vibration. for mounting you just attach one end to the top of the left sway bar mount, and for attaching to the head there is a little custom work. you will have to take the rear a/c bracket off and grind on it a bit. the mount goes between the a/c bracket and the left head.

after putting it on, i noticed the aod would downshift sooner (in comparison to when i hit the gas), mostlikely cause the power istn wasted in twisting the motor before the power is sent to the trans. also, the shifts are firmer because the power of the shift isnt wasted on torquing over the motor. thats with an aod, im sure the effects will be more noticeable in a manual
Old 08-10-2005, 11:57 PM
NegadivOne
3rd Gear Member

That's awesome, I'm pretty sure i'll be getting one soon, along with some underdrive pullies. btw lucky, you've done a lot of cool stuff to your car, it looks good.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:42 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

make sure you got subframes. you just now created a solid link to the chassis with the motor. and will see alot more twisting. like stated it prevents twisting and puts more power down.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:53 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

quik is right, if you dont have subframes, now is a great time to get them.
negadiveone, thanks for the compliment. go back and check the site again, i just updated it about 2 minutes ago
Old 08-11-2005, 01:28 AM
NegadivOne
3rd Gear Member

Dude thats sweet. I have my smog pump bypassed and I really want to remove cuz I dont have to pass emissions ever, but I dont even understand everything I have to take off or seal off to do it. I wanna put my battery in the trunk too. I made the mistake of buying the summit battery relocation kit and it is nothing close to a sealed box so I will have to wait awhile untill i have enough money for a better one
Old 08-11-2005, 01:39 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

use the wires from teh kit ditch the box. use the box for your tractor or etc.

yea its best to remove all the smog and not just the pump. there is more to it then you think
Old 08-11-2005, 01:44 AM
NegadivOne
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quik
yea its best to remove all the smog and not just the pump. there is more to it then you think

Yeah thats why I havent started on removing it yet. I know a lot of people ask how to do it on this forum but I cant ever seem to find clear instructions. When my daily driver truck gets back from the shop maybe I'll just start takin smog sh*t out untill i think ive got it.

Quick Reply: Torque Link