5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Car running funny

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:05 PM
badlx87
2nd Gear Member

Default Car running funny

Today my car just about left me stranded. I went to advanced auto to get an oil cap for it since I lost mine lol. But I had the spout taped shut. I went to leave and my car would start, run for like 3 seconds and then die. It did this 3 times before I started ait and tried to feed it gas but it just cut out really bad and prolonged it from dying.Kind of like there was a vaccum line unhooked. Let it sit for a min or 2 and tried to fire it up again, it puked and farted and I fed it gas and it finally stumbled to life. On the way home the oil pressure was at 50 while on throttle, but when off the throttle it immediatly jumped down to 25. The temp was also above normal, it always holds at the first line no matter the temp outside, but today it was a pinch over half way. I got it home and put oil cap on and it fixed the oil pressure issue. Since its episode it hasnt died while trying to start, but it acts like it goin to. It surges a few times then idles out. If I start it an give it a rev it doesnt surge and idles evenly, quicker. It also seem like it was lacking power while driving. Like its plugged or somethin. What are some things to check out. I have have recently cleaned the IAC, TB, and lubed the TPS. Its an 87 5.o 5 spd, speed density, smog not hooked up, but still 2 cats. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:39 PM
badlx87
2nd Gear Member

Just took the car on a 15 mile drive and the oil pressure is at 52ish while drivin and when I stop at a light or sign, it drops imedialtly to 25 again. and the temp was way higher than it has ever been, it was running a little over the 4th line on temp guage, over 200 degrees. I really need some suggestions here. The only thing I have done to the car before it starded doing this is give it an oil change. Using a different filter and lighter weight oil if that matters. thanks in advance.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:36 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

your oil pressure is fine, to drop to 25 psi at idle is normal, oil pump is driven by the cam which is driven my rpm , more rpm = mor psi and vise versa.............make sure no vaccum lines have worked themselves loose
Old 08-11-2010, 09:57 PM
badlx87
2nd Gear Member

ok, my oil pressure used to stay at a constant 50 range, sometimes while at idle it would drop to 40. I know this may be a dumb question but is there a specific oil filter to use? I had a motocraft on it it when the pressure was constant 50. I no have a fram tough guard onm it. i only ask cuz I figured it may be brand specific kind of like spark plugs. And I bought some vaccum line a few weeks ago to rerun to the map sensor, because it was badly aged. Looks like I'm checkin vaccum lines tonight, and maybe even runnin some new.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:59 PM
muzzy
1st Gear Member

If you are using a fram filter change it to a different brand. It might be time to flush your cars cooling sys. I'm not sure if your car has an outside gas filter, but if it does change it. Your fuel pump might be starting to go have it checked.
Thanx-Muzzy 04 S281SC Convertible #355
42#
JLT cold air
JDM SCT 93 oct tune
90mm maf
75mm TB
Ported and Polished SC by PSE
Mosaleen pulley sys
Gaterback belt
NGK tr6 @034
2.9 pulley
Chicane ss braded IC lines
Carbon fiber dash kit and shift ****
1 bottle of water wetter (haha)
Old 08-11-2010, 10:02 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

alot of people have probs with the fram filters, change it and see what happens with a good ole fl-1a
Old 08-11-2010, 10:03 PM
badlx87
2nd Gear Member

If you are using a fram filter change it to a different brand. It might be time to flush your cars cooling sys. I'm not sure if your car has an outside gas filter, but if it does change it. Your fuel pump might be starting to go have it checked.
I have a new pump at my house, I'll probably stick it on. That was initially my thought was clogged fuel filter. But something else has to be wrong to want to suddenly overheat. May flush cooling system as well.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:05 PM
badlx87
2nd Gear Member

Will do mjr46. I bought it and put it on to help diagnose my brothers fox's oil pressure issue. He has a fram and terrible oil pressure as well. I now know, never run anything but motocraft lol. I'll nab a fl1a tonight and stick it on.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:12 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

all mine either run fl-1a or k & n or napa/ wix, those are the only ones I ever use and never had issues
Old 08-11-2010, 10:17 PM
badlx87
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
all mine either run fl-1a or k & n or napa/ wix, those are the only ones I ever use and never had issues
Me either, it was dumb to change lol. I also have a question about my cars performance issues I feel is on topic to it running odd. I have read on one of your posts about running cats without smog pumps. Thats what I'm doing. I noted that you said its fine, unless the car starts running rich, which is what will clog the cats. My car had a MAP sensor problem a few weeks ago and was running rich, it did for a while. Exactly how long would it take to plug a cat while running rich with no smog pump?

Quick Reply: Car running funny