5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How to disassemble your distributor!

Old 08-23-2010, 10:38 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default How to disassemble your distributor!

Well, As some of you know, the roll pin that holds my distributor gear on, snapped. I took some time today and snapped some shots of How to disassemble your distributor!

For starters, you need some tools.

1/2" combination wrench (to get the distributor out of the engine)
#2 phillips head screwdriver
channel lock pliers
hammer (preferably a smaller one)
roll pin punch (mine are at work, I used a small nail)
1/4" ratchet and 7/32" socket
*Tools may vary slightly for fox owners. I disassembled an SN-95 distributor.

Parts and misc. things needed:
Carb cleaner
oil
PIP module (optional)
cap and rotor (optional)
new roll pins (recommended)

Lay everything out on your work space. To decrease the length of this how to, I already have the distributor out and the lower half of the case removed. (required the #2 screwdriver)

Start with your roll pin punch (or nail), and hammer. Remove the roll pins that hold both the distributor gear, and the shaft stop.

Now you will need to remove the distributor gear.
Most people will tell you that you need a press, or a puller of some sort to remove the distributor gear. Maybe I'm Superman, or Hercules... but all I did was grasp the reluctor wheel at the top of the distributor, placed the channel lock pliers on the smooth part of the gear, and twisted it off.

Now do the same with the shaft stop that is at the base of the housing.
Place the gear and its correct roll pin, then the stop and its correct roll pin to the side. Make sure you do not mix up the two pins.

(My distributor gear pin is clearly missing... we all know why)

Now that both pieces have been removed from the center shaft, simply slide the shaft out through the top of the housing.

Take a close look at the distributor shaft, See if it has any very heavy or excessive wearing the area that it passes through the housing. If you see any heavy scoring, or the shaft has a lip on it. You need to replace the unit.
Make sure you clean the shaft very well, it will likely have several years of coked up oil on it. I used a regular carb cleaner.

Be sure to also clean out inside the distributor, after the PIP has been removed... as to not damage it with solvents.

Now take your 1/4" ratchet and 7/32" socket and remove the bolts for the PIP module. There will be a small metal strap that lines up the PIP to the housing. Make sure you dont lose this! I was able to wiggle it loose with my fingers and pull it out, However a pair of needle nose pliers would have helped.

Now that you have completely disassembled the distributor, give it a good cleaning, check it over for anything out of the ordinary, replace your PIP and reassemble the unit.

Reassembly is the exact opposite as disassembly. Be sure to use some oil on the shaft before trying to reinsert it into the housing.
Once your distributor is reassembled, read my other thread on How to properly stab your distributor.

If you have any question or comments, please PM me.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:40 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

good write up now put the darn thing back in the car and go get us a et!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2011, 09:40 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

why didnt this get added to the tech articles!
Old 03-30-2011, 06:55 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Sorry Keith, I just got back from NTC! Great write up!
Old 09-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Samwell121
1st Gear Member

Any tips on getting these god forsaken roll pins out?!??! I'm snapping bits trying to drill them out even. So frustrating...
Old 09-26-2012, 04:47 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

roll pins are removed with a punch.....
Old 09-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Samwell121
1st Gear Member

The distributor shaft is very , very , very hard to remove, not "simply sliding out". Is something wrong or is this guy mcbeastly?
Old 09-27-2012, 04:57 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

not everyone's is gonna be easy to remove. I have had one that was a PITA and one that was pretty easy to come apart. Thats just part of what we do with our cars.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Samwell121
1st Gear Member

I just bought a new distributor since it was less than the cost of the Ignition module and the PIP sensor combined.. Problems solved
Old 09-29-2012, 11:15 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Originally Posted by Samwell121
I just bought a new distributor since it was less than the cost of the Ignition module and the PIP sensor combined.. Problems solved
Judging from your other thread, maybe not. Maybe that's the problem, you bought a cheap distributor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to disassemble your distributor!