5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I need you all to check something for me

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 08:17 PM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

Default I need you all to check something for me

I need some one with a 5.0 fox (preferably a 93) to pull they're coil plug with the key on and check and see which side (its red/gree and tan/yellow) get power with the key on and which one is the ground. I've been trouble shooting this forever and alll i have to compare it with is my father's 88
Old 08-28-2010, 08:22 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Seriously?? You post a friggin wiring diagram, and cant bother looking at it.

Positive is the ****ing red/green wire.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...this-part.html
Old 08-28-2010, 08:42 PM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

well adder, yes i looked at the damn thing, it doesn't say which way the current flows, and i didn't bump the old forum because nobody would look at it, I know it say's hot in run or start, I'm a perfectly capable reader. My question though is not answered by the wiring diagram, its assuming the thing is hooked up, I want to know what it does unhooked, thanks for the timely response.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:44 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if no start is your issue, try this out
http://sbftech.com/index.php?topic=588.0
Old 08-28-2010, 09:26 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by enix187
well adder, yes i looked at the damn thing, it doesn't say which way the current flows, and i didn't bump the old forum because nobody would look at it, I know it say's hot in run or start, I'm a perfectly capable reader. My question though is not answered by the wiring diagram, its assuming the thing is hooked up, I want to know what it does unhooked, thanks for the timely response.
actually, it is clearly marked as to how the current flows... red/green is HOT IN START AND RUN

cant get much clearer that that. hot means 12v+
the ECM switches ground.... common knowledge.

Look in your fuse block, that FL is likely one of the large square fuses
Old 08-28-2010, 09:58 PM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

all my fuses are fine (if thats what you meant) so by the logic that the red/green wire is the 12v wire it shouldn't be grounded? because the one on my 93 is (test light form positive cable to the (unhooked) wire shows that its grounded, where as when i put the test light from the positive cable to the tan/yellow wire there's no ground, but it also doesn't get any power when the key's on (neither of them do) I do have power at the red/green wire under the dash. And i haven't been able to check the fuse link on the red/green wire because I can't find the mother, I have over half the engine wiring harness un-loomed and i still can't find it.

and just as an add in, the fuel pump relay doesn't cycle unless i jump a wire from the positive to the red/green wire (the r/ltg wire is currently cut when i jump the wire I'm only doing it to the strip thats connected to the coil) the car will run, really well actually.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Really, it is not launching the space shuttle. Stop my sides are hurting. Way funny.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:55 PM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

if its so simple bubba why don't you give advice instead of making a smart *** comment? No i can't find the damn fusible link for the red green wire, otherwise I wouldn't ask for a simple check to be performed by somebody with a similar car, I didn't ask for anybody to solve this for me, all i was asking for was for someone to turn their key on, take a test light from a ground, pull the plug out and tell me what they get, so sorry my request was so outrageous.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:42 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

we have been giving you advice. Why you are looking under the dash for a red/green wire, is beyond me. The fuse link you are looking for should be under the hood.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:13 PM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

from the "does not start" thread that i was using, it stated that if you do not have 12v at the red/green wire at the coil, to check the ignition switch and see if the red/green wire there has power (if yes bad fuse link if no bad ignition switch) But i got the problem i had there fixed (by an electrical friend of mine) and now a new one appeared in that I get no spark, so now i have to trouble shoot that.

Quick Reply: I need you all to check something for me