5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cobra Intake swap no start but did start

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 03:12 PM
audi0g0d

Exclamation Cobra Intake swap no start but did start

Sup guys working on a 92 5.0 gt did a intake manifold swap from 5.0ho to cobra...after installation car fired right up...went to go for a drive it died from lack of power...checked all electronics and they are good and timing to...dead nuts on....checked all sensors and they are dead nuts on..aka they worked before install...i have swapped several parts from a running car sitting next to it to test all electronics and injectors and everything...im kinda thinking a intake gasket not sealed right or moved on install but i have once in a blue moon got the car to fire and run....checked for vacum leaks none found has great compression...just boggles me for the moment any ideas would be helpful as I am about to rip out the hair I dont have...audi0g0d
Old 09-11-2010, 01:32 AM
02WhiteGTVert
3rd Gear Member

Check to make sure you didn't pinch a vaccuum line between the upper and lower intake. Also, did u use intake studs to ensure that the gaskets stayed properly aligned when lowering the intake onto it? did you make sure the gasket mating surfaces were clean? did you put RTV in the corners where the intake meets the rear of the block and the timing cover? How are you verifying that the timing is correct?
Old 09-11-2010, 01:52 AM
audi0g0d

Unhappy found it...but still askin another set of questions

Good tips thx for the recommendations. I did do all that and i hope everyone else that does this swap would to. I did find out the problem. He ran the motor hella lean and burned it up...tested for compression after hours of trouble shooting and found that he had 30 psi on several cylinders and only one that read 120 psi. So I then Proceeded to shoot some oil in the cylinder and of course got a 120psi reading indication that the rings went bad. Not really sure what he did to it after I left and it was running perfect so we are now building a new engine..Joy...

Can anyone make a good recomendation on testing injectors....I also found alot of fuel in the oil pan....Not sure if he used starting fluid or one or several injectors failed...

also if you were doing this swap and had all the normal bolt ons like headers, exhaust ignition, cold air intake, now this cobra intake setup, and under drives, 255lph fuel pump, on stock heads slightly ported which injectors aka lbs would you wanna run...
Old 09-12-2010, 09:22 PM
pete88gt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by audi0g0d
Good tips thx for the recommendations. I did do all that and i hope everyone else that does this swap would to. I did find out the problem. He ran the motor hella lean and burned it up...tested for compression after hours of trouble shooting and found that he had 30 psi on several cylinders and only one that read 120 psi. So I then Proceeded to shoot some oil in the cylinder and of course got a 120psi reading indication that the rings went bad. Not really sure what he did to it after I left and it was running perfect so we are now building a new engine..Joy...

Can anyone make a good recomendation on testing injectors....I also found alot of fuel in the oil pan....Not sure if he used starting fluid or one or several injectors failed...

also if you were doing this swap and had all the normal bolt ons like headers, exhaust ignition, cold air intake, now this cobra intake setup, and under drives, 255lph fuel pump, on stock heads slightly ported which injectors aka lbs would you wanna run...
I'm running about the same setup, and I'm still using 19lbers...without a swap to a larger head I can't justify 24lb injectors or forced induction