5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

common causes for battery drainage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 03:58 PM
ricepatrol
3rd Gear Member

Default common causes for battery drainage?

Well if it isn't one thing it's another- I now seem to have something draining my battery. I jumped it, let it run for a little and shut it off, to find that 30 minutes later it was dead again. SO i thought, okay I didn't let it run long enough, so I jumped it again and let it run for a half hour. A couple hours later, bam it was dead again. SO i switched in a fresh battery I had, it fired right up. So I figured maybe maybe I just had a bad battery. The next morning... guess what? No start. I had planned on changing my oil, pcv valve, and screen today but I can't even get to the store now that I don't have any cars to jump mine with [:@] The only thing I've done recently is install a tach, and I am 99 percent sure I did that correctly. The only wire that should actually matter (power- key on engine off) I attached to the power wire on my radio (red) which is supposed to be the same way (key on engine off) Other than the tach, I haven't done anything to merit a short. I did find the wiring harness that connects to the top of the a/c on the motor, some of the wires had been chopped and may have been touching each other or a ground. Since my a/c doesn't work anyway, I just unplugged and removed the harness altogether. I was hoping you guys could shoot some common problems at me so I could try and troubleshoot this situation. Thanks fellas
Old 08-15-2005, 05:52 PM
ricepatrol
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: common causes for battery drainage?

any ideas?
Old 08-15-2005, 06:59 PM
smokesricers
2nd Gear Member

When you installed your tach where did u ground it too, a bad ground might cause that i believem someone catch me if im wrong
Old 08-15-2005, 08:53 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

why in the world did you hook up the tach to the radio? also radios have a constant and switched on. your tach should of been hooked up to the coil not you radio

underdrives will cause a low battery with a stock ALT
Old 08-15-2005, 10:25 PM
ricepatrol
3rd Gear Member

lol quick, I'm not that dumb. The sender wire (green) went to my coil. The power wire can be connected to the key on wire for the radio (red). I realize the radio also has a constant, and I know which wire that is (yellow 15a constant). I don't have an aftermarket pully. I will recheck that ground, but I don't know how that would drain it when the tach doesn't get any power until I turn the ignition on-

ps- roundman was where I pulled the radio advice from, and it works
Old 08-16-2005, 12:57 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

i dont see that draining the battery with the ground like that. i would disconnect the tach and see if the problem goes away
Old 08-16-2005, 03:27 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

You have amp and subs? If so make sure your amps not staying on.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:18 PM
ricepatrol
3rd Gear Member

Nope my subs and amp are still out of the car (the large hole developing below my glass window in my top would cause them to get rained on) I'm going to get the battery tested, I did such a thorough job of sealing off my connections for the tach I would rather punch myself in the ***** than undo them all (5 wires I think)
Old 08-16-2005, 07:57 PM
90GTRagtop
2nd Gear Member

If you have a good DC amp meter, you can disconnect your battery terminal and put the meter inbetween the battery and the cable. Then start pulling fuses until you see which circuit causes a significant drop in electrical flow. After that you'll have to trace out the circuit to see where the problem lies. Remember that clocks and the computer will always draw a little bit of current, but if a new battery drained overnight, you're looking at something that's pulling over 1 amp, probably a fair bit over.