5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

T-5 questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 09:54 PM
copracr
1st Gear Member

Default T-5 questions

When I'm shifting into reverse I have to grind gears to get it fully engaged. If I slam it hard (which I only tried once) it really clunks loud. If I start the car up with the clutch depressed I can smoothly shift into reverse, but if I let the clutch up in gear or nuetral it grinds when i try reverse again. The clutch is fully disengaged by the time the pedal is halfway down, so I am assuming its adjusted well enough to fully disengage the clutch. My fix for all clutch problems is usually replace everything, but can anyone pinpoint my problem so I can save a few bucks here?

Second problem is the clutch pedal. It's far stiffer than my SD diesel, and it's stiff enough that I fear I'm gonna break something. I've found some advice after searching and followed it, and come to the conclusion that it's the adjustable setup that is prolly giving me problems. I want to get a factory cable and firewall adjuster but what quadrant should I get?

My current clutch cable looks a lot like this pic from NAPA.
Attached Thumbnails T-5 questions-291985.jpg  
Old 10-10-2010, 10:11 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Reverse- We have no reverse syncro's in our T45's. Known problem, it sucks, live with it.

We have a cable, its stiff if you have a good clutch. You already have an aftermarket quadrant, check to see if you have a firewall adjuster. Factory is an automatic adjuster for the quadrant, its plastic and sucks. There is no manual adjustment for factory. Im betting your diesel has a hydraulic clutch hence the ease.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:51 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by a_penquin
Reverse- We have no reverse syncro's in our T45's. Known problem, it sucks, live with it.

We have a cable, its stiff if you have a good clutch. You already have an aftermarket quadrant, check to see if you have a firewall adjuster. Factory is an automatic adjuster for the quadrant, its plastic and sucks. There is no manual adjustment for factory. Im betting your diesel has a hydraulic clutch hence the ease.

We have T5's...YOU have a T45 but same difference lol. When you go into reverse push it up into 5th first them bring it down into reverse. It slows the gears down enough to be able to slide it in nice and smoothly.

What clutch do you have in the car? From what I hear the Steeda quick release quadrant is the way to go with a heavy clutch.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:53 AM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

I've always just let my car drift backwards a little bit when I'm trying to reverse (can't always do that though) but don't worry, my dads been grinding the hell out of reverse since he bought his 88 in late 87 still goes backwards just fine!
Old 10-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Steeda kit, Ram clutch & pp, Ford tob no issues.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:32 PM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

i always go 2nd to reverse and it never grinds at all.if i try to go from neutral to reverse it grinds all to hell
Old 10-11-2010, 08:45 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by projectresto83
When you go into reverse push it up into 5th first them bring it down into reverse. It slows the gears down enough to be able to slide it in nice and smoothly.
yup... thats what i do

fyi for your clutch to be adjusted right... it should start to engage 1 1/2" off the floor

you said halfway and that seems like a lot... the "clunk" also leads me to believe your partially engaged... if in doubt jack up the back on the diffy and look at the tires while you have the clutch pressed in
Old 10-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

There is no relation between cable and hydraulic for ease of pedal pressure.
The only difference in the real world is when cables get old, they will become stiff. It's either from the cable wearing through the inner liner or lack of lubrication.

As for reverse, yes some T5's have a synchro to stop the grind. I have one in my 93. Quite suprised to hear a newer T45 does not have one too.

For your 89. Like said, chose a any forward gear to stop the disc/input shaft, then you can engage reverse without grinding. Or just wait about 3 or 4 seconds with the clutch pedal down. Then you'll be able to engage revesre without grinding.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:59 AM
19905.0stang
1st Gear Member

mine has grinded reverse ever since my dad bought the car in 95 and now that i own it it still grinds reverse so i guess no big deal
Old 10-12-2010, 08:21 AM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

i have a reverse synchro in my 95, but the old trick i heard was 5th then reverse. just to stop the CS from spinning.

Quick Reply: T-5 questions