5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Supercharger, Wise choice?

Old 08-17-2005, 06:49 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Default Supercharger, Wise choice?

Hey everyone, I have a friend who just came upon a Vortec Supercharger, dont ask me how he got it or how much he paid, he just came by my house one day and showed me. But anyways I told him its not a wise choice to slap a superchager on a completely stock motor, but he wouldnt want to listen. So im going to help him install it.

So heres my question, is it wise to run a supercharger on a completely stock 88 stang? And what kinda damage will he do to his engine? Also what kind boost can you run on a stock motor?

Btw he has 120,000 miles on it if that makes a difference.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:26 PM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger, Wise choice?

It will be ok to add a few pounds of boost to a stock motor. No more than 8 pounds I would say. But I really would just say add about 5-6 pounds to be safe.

The engine should be ok, but it also depends on his driving. If he drives it WOT all the time then yes he will blow a gasket.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:45 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

the miles are a little high but if it dont burn oil go for it its not gone to hurt it I ran 11 psi on a all stock motor and had no problems at all.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:33 PM
sc94gt
3rd Gear Member

I agree with Pure5.0.
6 lbs of boost is safe for stock gaskets, anymore than 8 lbs and better gaskets are recommended for 5.0's.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:45 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Its even ok to run with the stock intake and TB? I just thought it might be a bad Idea. But I guess its going to be ok.
How much HorsePower Gain do you think we can get? Also will Speed Density affect it in a big way?
Old 08-17-2005, 09:03 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

car will be fine and power full. stock setup is actually what the basic vortech kit is thought after. the stock cam is a great cam for boosted applications. only thing i would do is retorque the head bolts to the specific recomendation. im pretty sure 100fltbs is correct. he can run the stock given 8 or 9psi as long as teh heads dont lift and he keeps the timing down and runs 93 fuel
Old 08-17-2005, 11:08 PM
wildstang87
2nd Gear Member

well, i just got my xray goggles out and the bottom end looks fine. anyways, i would be more worried about rod bearings than head gaskets. what kind of oil pressure does he have at idle and how about 2500 (with a load). with SD he might have a very lean off idle condition. the map sensor doesnt realize the extra air is coming in until the vacuum goes to 0in/hg which is right after the pedal is hit, also the stock computer will have to be reprogrammed, or chipped, as it will only give enough fuel for the stock N/A setup, it knows nothing but WOT, doesnt recognize boost. so in my honest opinion, no this isnt a good canidate for boost w/out the MAF.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:00 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

I would change the car over to mass air also before I put the superchager on.But as far as the computer giving enough fuel for the motor when it comes up on boost even changing to mass air just wont work the computer is not boost sensitive.it will add more fuel to a point but that is it, once it get to the max amount on that set table it is done.without some sort of tune help (chip or add on computer) I would use the FMU that comes with most supercharger kits that can make 8psi. or more. it goes in the return fuel line it closes off the line and spikes up the fuel press.as boost go up to make the injectors think they are bigger in laymens terms.but by doing this it also taxes the pump in the tank so besure to use the tag along pump that also comes with most superchargers or put a big pump in the tank.but in most low boost motors the FMU and a stock injector should be ok but I would also get a big pump if he runs the FMU.But as far as that goes any thing over 6 psi should run bigger injectors also IMO but as far the motor holding up it should be fine.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:12 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

So will we break the 300hp mark?
Old 08-18-2005, 08:07 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

even the best blowers only produce 50% increase in power. thats not a blower he has and even then 50% of 225 is 112.5 so that would be 338 hp or so
he could be close to the 300HP mark with no other bolt ons

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Supercharger, Wise choice?