5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1985 gt Clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 02:35 PM
darkemp

Default 1985 gt Clutch problems

Okay so i just recently traded in my ford taurus for a 1985 mustang GT in very rough shape. The motor and trans have been rebuilt recently so that was why i snagged the deal up.

Shortly after getting the mustang i sliped on the clutch pedal (flip flops aren't great shifting shoes) and i believe i broke the fiberglass ratchet on the top of the clutch pedal. This gave me a very distint clicking sound when i pushed it in but wasn't able to put the car into gear. i ended up wiggling the ratchet thing to allow me to get a gear to get the car home. i make it about half way to stop and talk with the guy i bought the mustang from, he told me you can ajust the clutch cable. We did that by throwing a few washers on the clutch cable where it attaches to the transmission. this gave me a few gears but they were veryyyy hard to pop into and the clutch plate kept grinding hear and there. i put it in third gear and tried to make the 2 mile drive to my garage. on the way there i hit a light and the car didnt seem to want to engage into gear. quickly i tried to change to any other gear, only to find nothing. none of my gears work. :[

the clutch cable pulls the lever on the side of the transmission when i push the clutch pedal in so im not really sure where to start.

any tips and suggestions?

greatly appreciated. This is my first mustang and i look forward to hearing what you guys have to say. Thankyou.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:20 PM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

First off welcome, secondly don't get discouraged by smartarse dikheaded remarks some guys are going to make. On to your question, first you really need to determine what exactly broke, and then without a doubt replace it. It sounds like your clutch quadrant did some voodoo magic and misadjusted, since it sounds like you have the stock setup just pull up on the pedal (towards the dash/seat away from the firewall) and it should do something along the lines of a loud click. If you can't get it to do anything you may just need to replace it, other members might chime in with more tips if this is your daily driver to get it running. Adjustable qaudrants and cables are pretty cheap and easy to get, and they're an upgrade. All of this is assuming that you broke the quadrant and not something else.

and I drive in flip flops all the time
Old 11-12-2010, 04:40 PM
darkemp

Originally Posted by enix187
First off welcome, secondly don't get discouraged by smartarse dikheaded remarks some guys are going to make. On to your question, first you really need to determine what exactly broke, and then without a doubt replace it. It sounds like your clutch quadrant did some voodoo magic and misadjusted, since it sounds like you have the stock setup just pull up on the pedal (towards the dash/seat away from the firewall) and it should do something along the lines of a loud click. If you can't get it to do anything you may just need to replace it, other members might chime in with more tips if this is your daily driver to get it running. Adjustable qaudrants and cables are pretty cheap and easy to get, and they're an upgrade. All of this is assuming that you broke the quadrant and not something else.

and I drive in flip flops all the time
Lol Thankyou. i think the Clutch is dragging after we adjusted the cable. im going to pull the spacers out and see if that changes anything. i will do that in the next few hours. and as far as the dumbass remarks from other people. we all drive mustangs... enough said :P and thankyou.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:29 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Flip flops the official shoe of NC. Come winter and gets cold just add socks.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:22 PM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

or you break out the sperry's
Old 11-13-2010, 07:07 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

just because the lever moves on the side of the tranny doesn't mean it moves far enough, the factory cable is non adjustable except for up in the quadrant which all that does is remove slack on that end, inspect the prawl, a few teeth may have stripped.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:51 PM
darkemp

your right the clutch is still engaged. i cant figure out how to adjust it from the front. i took the spacers off on the lever part on the side of the trans, i now have some gears but at very high rpm. took 4k to get it up my driveway lol. so now i need to figure out that plastic ratchet thing and some how give me about 1cm more on the cable and i can finally drive my baby :]
Old 11-13-2010, 05:14 PM
darkemp

how do you give the cable more slack? i cant seem to figure it out. im about to bend the lever on the transmission itself. i looked at that cable ratchet assembly under the dash and got no where. my clutch is just wayyyyyyy to tight. i put my toe on it and it spins free.