5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Battery, Alternator or Starter??

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 04:02 PM
JP_Stang

Default Battery, Alternator or Starter??

Hey guys,

I need some help pin pointing where my problem sounds like it may be coming from. Every now and again my starter will just click and not turn the engine over. If I click it a few times it will turn over. So I thought it must be the solenoid going. Easy fix, just replace the starter. Well, I noticed that while driving down the road my blinkers and everything seem fine, but when i am sitting still the blinkers are extremely slow and all the lights on the car dim. That sounds like an alternator to me.

So I was wondering if my alternator going out could cause the starter to act up? Should I just buy an alternator, or does it sound like I may need both? Or, could it possibly be my battery?

Thanks for the help in advanced guys!!
Old 11-14-2010, 04:13 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

start the car, while its running take a volt meter or multimeter and place it across the battery terminals and check the voltage. If its 14v then your charging system is working and most likely the battery.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:11 PM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

Or go to the advance auto (or other parts store) and tell them to test your battery/starting/charging system, some of them have a machine that does it all at once, but you can do the same test with a voltmeter like penquin said
Old 11-14-2010, 05:22 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Most of the autoparts stores equipment will not detect a dead/dying cell which is what it sounds like he has.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Voltage is not checked fromm alternator at idle. Voltage check, bright lights on, blower on high, then check at around 1600 rpm with dvom. Check battery cable connections(both ends bat-starter bat-block) and soenoid connector (known to corrode). Ever check and see if the battery needs any distilled water? Option, let some minumum wage earner tell you what to spend money on. Surely after a few parts the car will be healed.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:54 PM
JP_Stang

I haven't checked to see if the battery needs water yet. I checked all connections and they seem good. I was planning on switching to a yellow top Optima battery anyway. Maybe I will do that and see what happens. The alternator is just a stock unit, so I might go ahead and purchase a PA unit too. I would think after both of these upgrades, it should take care of the problem. I guess if the starter still does the clicking thing after that, I will know I will need to purchase a starter also.

Thanks for the help guys!!
Old 11-16-2010, 02:30 AM
19stang88
3rd Gear Member

Use a muti meter. What i did to check if my alternator was bad is disconnected the positive from the battery when the car is running. If the car dies then your alternator is bad. Also, make sure you terminals are clean and not corroded and make sure you have a good connection to the battery. Another thing, if you have cold nights amyour battery could be draining over night and not providing enough cranking amp thus making your starter click. Hope this helps.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:54 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Do Not disconnect battery while engine is running. Go and get alternator checked anywhere. Bet ya nobody disconnects battery while engine is running.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:01 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

On a computer controlled vehicle no, on my truck and my old dodge I do. Its an old backyard trick to check if the alternator is bad. You dont have to turn on all the accessories to check you charging system either. The drain on the battery from the initial start is enough to get positive results. Immediately after start you should be reading 14.4V across the battery terminals if the system is charging correctly. You should read around 12V with the engine off at the terminals for a properly working battery.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:14 PM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

Id recomend running a voltage drop test on the feed and ground side of the starting and charging system before you go about replacing parts....

Quick Reply: Battery, Alternator or Starter??