5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need Help! Lots of Questions, just got a 1989 Cobra 5L

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 08:38 PM
jjcsr74
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Five0hFox
He's Canadian, in Canada the GT's were called Cobra's I do believe.

Bingo...
Old 11-18-2010, 01:20 PM
cobra5L307

Originally Posted by ALMOST STOCK
The salt and pepper shakers are your 10 pin connectors.

This is the extension for the 10 pin connector
sweet thanks, ill check it out.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:56 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

All the sensors can be done yourself, doesn't take anything more than a flat head screw driver to change them. The TPS is a little hard at times because depending on things you may have to remove the throttle body to change it, but other than that, it's very easy to change.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:52 PM
THOR74
1st Gear Member

In Canada they were called "Ford Mustang Cobra GT". My 1991 came like that, along with a 230 kph speedo, daytime running lights and the California emissions (including the four unit exhaust with two precats and two cats).

Mine even has a block heater...never used, of course.

Other than that, no difference vs. a normal US Mustang GT. Why was this done? My research is inconclusive - theories exist but I know of nothing official.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:48 PM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by THOR74
In Canada they were called "Ford Mustang Cobra GT". My 1991 came like that, along with a 230 kph speedo, daytime running lights
and the California emissions (including the four unit exhaust with two precats and two cats).

Mine even has a block heater...never used, of course.

Other than that, no difference vs. a normal US Mustang GT. Why was this done? My research is inconclusive - theories exist but I know of nothing official.
That confirms what I thought about all Mustangs from at least 89-93 having 4 cats and coming from the factory with them.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:00 PM
cobra5L307

sweet ill try changin most senors. Thanks. Heres some pics i took of things Im not sure of. Except i opened a whole can of worms inspecting the car underneath. Found out who ever had it before must of ditched it. The cross member underneath the rad is bent pretty bad..And I think its been hit in the rear end, one of the quarter panels on the rear are a bit different than the other side, looks like theres been work done on it, sits alittle crooked, but can only see with a sharp eye. All i know i went under CARFAX, vin code says it has been in no accidents. So i dont think it was a horrible wreck. But i do think something hit the rear end. Which is probly why I have a vibrations at 100 km.
Also found i have a cracked clutch housing, pretty big crack, could be why im gettin a nasty vibration. Wont know until I fix it i guess. I just gotta pull the tranny. Which im gona do in the next couple weeks. Looking at the haynes manual doesnt look to hard. Also noticed the back seal on the engine must be leaking pretttty bad. Im thinking of gettin that stop engine leak stuff, heard it works pretty good. Or else I will see how much it will cost to fix that when the tranny is out, i just dont wanna get into seals cuz thats a big job..Um ya, heres some pics of some problems i found tonight! hopin to get some input ! enjoy
Old 11-22-2010, 10:01 PM
cobra5L307

**** How the hell do i post my pics from my camera on here
Old 11-23-2010, 12:24 AM
cobra5L307

Default Ah I figured it out! heres th pics

This seal is leaking, need replaced rigght. I put my finger on the seal and finger goes red with trannny fluid, thats not normal right? and could this cause vibration? theres alittle bit of play on it but barely, just a little. Not sure if that is normal

Any idea what this is, i dont think its the drain plug

Ouch looks like the old owner crashed in a ditch or something, rad seems to be fine though. Can i get this piece repaced?

Check the crack out on the bell housing, had a better pic but it didnt load. Ciuld this be causing my vibrations? im sure it must have something to do with it, its a fairly bbig crack ouchhh. Have no idea how that happened

here is another view of the crack

what is thisss???!

And this is?? i think its a fuel pressure guage???? apparently the car has a adjustable fuel ration thing, i dunno what it is or where it is or how to do that.

This connector goes where?? I have no clueee, cant seem to find anything close around it that it may connect to...:S

here are som vacuum lines, see one is connected, and one aint. I cant seem to figure out where that one goes, I can figure it out. And notice the connecter, therre is a cut off line on it?

another pic of the vacuum line that i cant figure out where it goes

oil pressure regulator right, how do i get this off? my oil pressure guages dont work need to know how to fix it, i guess changing this would be the first step rightt

check this out, this sensor must not be working right. Its the spedo sensor right, its on the trannt, and also the wire to it is melted from laying on the exhaust.

melted wire on the speedo cable i think...?

any idea what this is??? cant figure it out its on the oil pan

sub frame connectors

car

someone pleasse help me with this, i have no idea where this goes, old owner said its for the suspension something to do with racing..Yet I hve no idea where it goes to or what it isss...???

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1290492744

what would this be for, seems to be nothing hooked up to it

engine

more of car....

ANyways theres my problem lol..also i have sagging side skirts with new clips, dunno how to install it though....
Old 11-23-2010, 12:27 AM
cobra5L307

oh ya the pic with the bent cross member for the rad i put the wrong description on it, i meant ouch looks like the old howner hit a ditch or something/ can i get that replaced??
Old 11-23-2010, 04:33 PM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

1st pic… Could be due to a bad trans seal, or oil that has been blown back on the trans and drive shaft from the looks of the bellhousing and front of the trans.

2nd pic… Crushed radiator support

3rd pic….Could be the line from the Charcoal Canister to the gas tank ... it’s hard to tell

4th and 5th pic… Probably whatever crushed the radiator support also hit the bellhousing and cracked it

6th pic… Adjustable fuel pressure regulator

7th pic… Fuel pressure gauge

8th pic… Looks like the connector to your purge valve

9th and 10th pic… Black line goes to the Air Bypass valve, White line goes to the Air Diverter valve

11th pic… Oil pressure sender, it unscrews from that fitting sticking out of the engine

14th pic… Low oils sensor

15th pic … Sub frame connectors

Quick Reply: Need Help! Lots of Questions, just got a 1989 Cobra 5L