Have a Idle Problem! 1989 GT COBRA - Page 3 - MustangForums.com

5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #21  
cobra5L307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba 95SN View Post
You have a electrical oil gauge? If sending unit wire is grounded it will peg the gauge. Take sending unit wie off, does gauge go to zero?
Yes it is electrical, ya im gona check over the sending unit wire, i guess i g2 pull half the dash apart to check the entire wire. BUt ya ill check that out im gona go work on the beast right now. I also wonder if the oil pressure relief valve is stuck ?
cobra5L307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:27 PM   #22  
cobra5L307

Got goood news! after all this ive been doin this weekend, Got my idle to work alot better. My motor was smoking under the hood after driving like 50 feet, this was all after i changed my fuel pressure as well dropped it down to 30 psi, and this also happened after i did the compression test. Thought i messed up a spark plug or something or wire was back firing and missing and lots of smoke was coming out my exhaust. So i put in brand new wires and adjusted the fuel pressure back up to around 55 psi and car runs 35 times better now, and usualy after it warms up the rev goes all haywire. I only drive it for like 2 kms though around the block drove her good and hard went sideways around every corner, seemed to run real good, nice and strong. Except i was going into thirrd heard a backfire, but didnt do it again. But ya im happy i think my idle is fixed i hope.

Next i just gotta run my codes cuz my engine light is stuck on after i tried doing the KOER KOEO test. Noticed I might have put a wire in the wrong whole. Well i couldnt get the self test to work, so i saw another wire with a female thing on it like the self test input, so i put my jumper wire into that, and as soon as i did, my car reved real high so i shut her off right away. And now CEL is stuck on, sucks. I dunno what this connecter would be its a orange and black wire sticking out right beside the triangle thingy input to do the KOER KOEO test. Im gona have to take a picture ask someone if they have any idea what it might be for. Its a connector for something. Just nothing is hooked up to it very strange..
Old 12-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #23  
g3mustang
3rd Gear Member

when you buy a code reader you put both those plugs into it. the big triangle looking one and a little square one.

i would try disconnecting the battery for 30 min and see if it goes away
g3mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:39 AM   #24  
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

"Triangle plug" the side with just 2 pins have that on top, the pin on right side and the single connectro put a hopper wire between them (or paper clip). Now it should test. Count flashes of the CEL(check engine light) Post test results. http:// veryuseful.com
Bubba 95SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:13 PM   #25  
cobra5L307

Ya i got the KOER KOEO test link from SPFtech the link is great shows exactly how to do it. Tried many times, even the alternate when you get no codes. cant get nothing at all. Now the self test input, the grey square thing. Its real weird, the STI is like 3 feet away from the SIGRTN. And in all the pics i see of this STI its like 2 inches away from the SIGRTN. ? its like its wired up to something else, and i think it could be.

I was using a test light tonight to see if I have power on the SIGRTN, which i do but No power on my STI. The test light doesnt light up with key on or off when i put it in the STI. Except get this, when i put the test light into the STI my wipers turn on, even if the key is off.....Now thats so messed, i dont even know where to start to try and figure that out..lol..i think there is a wiring problem.. But beside my SIGRTN there is another wire (orange and black) with a female connector on it(Like the car audio kind for a speaker)..I have absolutely no idea what it would be for..starting to wonder if it could be the real self test input, but it must not be cuz i tried using it with the test and nothing.
\Anyone think i should just take it into a ford dealership. Im definately not an electrical person? or should i takle this myself.

Also, I cant even take my battery out of my car my Alarm just goes off like its lost its brains. Even when i unhook the whole battery alarm keeps going off so i hook it back up to stop..it really pisses me off how am i Suppose to take my battery out when my alarm constantly goes off when i try to. Owner before me must of put the alarm in. So i only know how to lock and unlock the car. Have no idea how i would disarm it, i cant even find the alarm..
Old 12-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #26  
cobra5L307

Also i cant get my stupid oil pressure guage to work, tried everything, new sending unit..New sig wire, new ground and power..It just wont work, i think it must be my guage. Cant see why else it wont work. It just stays pegged, but drops when theres no power, but when it has power it just goes to pegged..
stupid oil guage.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:40 PM   #27  
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Wires? Need to know colors? www.veryuseful.com
Bubba 95SN is offline   Reply With Quote