MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Have a Idle Problem! 1989 GT COBRA (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/625163-have-a-idle-problem-1989-gt-cobra.html)

cobra5L307 12-02-2010 06:41 PM

Have a Idle Problem! 1989 GT COBRA

Hey everyone, hoping to get some help here. Car seems to run ok at idle as its warming up. Had a problem the other week when driving and car gets to normal temperature my engine light comes on and my car starts to rev like its gone crazy. It revs up to 2000 rpm's when its warmed up and cant realy make it go away inless i shut the car off and restart it. But it comes back within 5mins of driving. Seems to be ok when driving like a granny. But didnt buy a 5L to drive like a granny lol.
So i changed my TPS today, cuz old owner thought that was what was wrong. So i started it up ran fine until it got warmed up, its started to rev high again and check engine light came on, and car was just sitting there. I was just waiting for her to get warm. The revs started jumping and pretty much car stalled. ? Im stuck..so stuck. Im gona try and clean my MAF tonight and see if that helps. Any suggestions?

And question about fuel pressure my guage on my engine says my fuel psi is at 60 psi. Is that bad?? and if it is how to i adjust my fuel pump cuz apparently i have an adjustable fuel thing on my car somewhere, but have no idea how to adjust it?
- Car has top end rebuilt thatspretty much it, has msd ignition and what not headers, exhaust with no cats, cold air.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...I love this car i jsut want her to run right.

Thanks Cobra5L307

Bubba 95SN 12-02-2010 07:25 PM

Run some EEC1V test KOEO,KOER,KOEM,Cylinder balance Then post results so you can obtain help. Fuel pressure needs to be reduced to 41lbs with vacum conected.

jthorn9 12-02-2010 07:31 PM

Replace the idel air control sensor (IAC) this will cause the problem you're having. For the fuel pressure do as stated above but it could be that the fuel pressure regulator needs to be replaced.

cobra5L307 12-02-2010 08:34 PM

Thanks guys, i just cleaned my MAF no changee at all. Will do my IAC next.

Also could have done my TPS wrong i didnt use a voltmeter for it. I read the faqs about doing it pretty straight forward i just dont have a Voltmeter. Just only thing about it I dont understand is, if it reads way off of .98 volts how do you adjust it??? with a voltmeter?, that part gets me confused. Or do you adjust the TPS itself and if you do how on earth do you adjust it?. Its spring loaded and allways goes back to the same spot. Just not sure about that? :S. And if ive done it wrong wouldnt it not work at all?. I have a haynes manual and it doesnt say anything, just says take it to mechanic, but as if id wanna do that they would probly charge me like 200 bucks or something stupid to do that.

And i looked at the idle problems in the haynes manual, and Vacuum leaks come up. Its just hard to do cuz there are vacuum lines on my car not hooked up and cant find anywhere for them to go, and i cant seem to find any manuals or info on the net to figure out where all the vacuum hoses and lines are suppose to be hooked up to and what not/ :S Car is starting to scare me lol. Or it says it could be EAGER valve or PCV, and i cant even find it on my engine. I dunno where it would be, i cant even find it in the manual.
Or it also says fuel pump not delivering sufficient fuel to fuel injector. And it says the head gasket could be leaking. How would i figure that out, and does white smoke out of my tail pipe caused from this? for some reason when its warm she blows quite abit of white smoke, especially out of one side.

Finding new problems everyday, like theres this super annoying rattling, like something in a tin can kinda sound coming from my exhaust in the rear somewhere, and everything with the exhaust seems fine. Scared it could be that thing in the fuel tank i read on here, that baffle plate or whatever it is.

cobra5L307 12-02-2010 08:37 PM

But yes im gona get one of those scanners next payday. I dunno if im talented enough to do the paper clip thing i dont wanna screw anything up. And good and easy to use scanners I can buy?

cobra5L307 12-02-2010 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bubba 95SN (Post 7316729)
Run some EEC1V test KOEO,KOER,KOEM,Cylinder balance Then post results so you can obtain help. Fuel pressure needs to be reduced to 41lbs with vacum conected.

Hey Bubba whats the Cylinder balance? or how do I do that? with a scanner?...And how do I adjust my fuel pressure, its a walboro fuel pump im pretty sure..

g3mustang 12-03-2010 09:26 AM

behind the throttle body under your top intake will be your fuel pressure regulator. it may have a alen key or screw on top for adjusment if not you will have to buy a new one. could buy a factory replacement one, or buy an adjustable one if you want to go with more mods in the future

cobra5L307 12-03-2010 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by g3mustang (Post 7317421)
behind the throttle body under your top intake will be your fuel pressure regulator. it may have a alen key or screw on top for adjusment if not you will have to buy a new one. could buy a factory replacement one, or buy an adjustable one if you want to go with more mods in the future

Thanks man ya its a adjustable one, has an alen key on the side. I thought might have been for adjustment but wasnt sure. Will do that today

alexyikes00 12-03-2010 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by cobra5L307 (Post 7317506)
Thanks man ya its a adjustable one, has an alen key on the side. I thought might have been for adjustment but wasnt sure. Will do that today

Do you have a gage on your fuel rail?.. if not i dont know how your gonna set it at around 40 psi..

AdderMk2 12-03-2010 12:17 PM

its not a Cobra....

damn canadians.