5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

why would my engine knock from an intake gasket repair?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 10:55 PM
dyeownsme

Default why would my engine knock from an intake gasket repair?

today i was changing my friends intake gasket on his 1983 5.0 we did everything to procidure, the only anoyying part was putting the trermstat back in but once we did we cranked the engine and there was a serious knock...we dont know what happened. why would this happen from a simple intake gasket?
Old 08-19-2005, 10:57 PM
wildstang87
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: why would my engine knock from an intake gasket repair?

you didnt drop a bolt down the intake did you??? if thats definately not the case, and it sounds like a bottom end knock you might have gotten too much coolant in the oil and the rod bearings arent lubed good.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:34 AM
dyeownsme

Well id say im 99% sure no bolts or anything fell in...
what would cause the oil to get coolant into it?

It did sound like a rod or rocker problem, but how did the intake manifold trigger this problem???
Old 08-21-2005, 12:18 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

you could also have a bad leak at the intake gaskets.
did you go over the torque sequence 5-6 times to make sure all bolts are tightened to spec.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:39 PM
dyeownsme

now it turns out there is water in the block.

This car/problem is a blame game bettween me (middle man) my friend (automotive student) and the owner (other friend)

he bought the car in NY and was told it only had 60k original miles... title only shows one owner but seller claimed his dad got the car as payment from his uncle, now the interior seems to only show around 60k mi. of wear but the car seems to me that indeed the whole car has 160k. Then the car began running rough and we discovered that the intake was leaking at the gaskets. but upon removing the manifold the gaskets looked fine. (mabye wasnt tightened to specs then...) but even so after replacing the gaskets the knock started.

Now even if the bolts werent tighten to specs. how could this cause a knock/ bottom end problem? also does this fault seem to show that the sellers information was a lie or fabracated??
Not to point fingers but the car was priced and paid for as if it had less then 100k mi. (needless to say it wasnt a "good deal")

Sorry for the length but ANY ADVISE?
Old 08-23-2005, 11:36 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dyeownsme

Well id say im 99% sure no bolts or anything fell in...
what would cause the oil to get coolant into it?

It did sound like a rod or rocker problem, but how did the intake manifold trigger this problem???

if you have coolant in the oil, you may have a blown headgasket, or it could be coolant from when you took off the intake.
tell me you changed the oil at the same time.

if you only go over the torque sequence one time, the first bolts you tightened willl become loose, so you have to go over them a bunch of times till all bolts are at the same torque.
a leak might sound like a knock because you are detonating because of the extra air coming in from the intake gaskets making you run lean.

when you replaced the gaskets was there any coolant in the lifter galley?
some coolant might have seeped into the bearings, and when you started it up the coolant heated up and you could have messed them up.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:42 PM
Vertastang
2nd Gear Member

what kind of Knock is it?? did u play with the distubutor?? could it be a spark knock????
Old 08-26-2005, 01:03 AM
mustang8719
3rd Gear Member

The balancer could have spun and when you put it in time the marks werent proper because the pulley spun.Then you could have a knock. I had that happen to me not long ago.
I kept timing it and still a knock.Then I set the #1 piston to TDC and found out the marks were 5 to 6 degrees off.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:37 PM
blowninjected
1st Gear Member

Is it a knock just when you are starting the car or is it a constant knock?
Old 09-03-2005, 08:19 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

I have changed my intake gaskets about 10 times now, and I found if you dont use lots of silicone around the coolant ports they leak into the lifter galley.

Quick Reply: why would my engine knock from an intake gasket repair?