5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

95 GT Power Loss

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 05:49 PM
themasterhayter

Default 95 GT Power Loss

I'll try to explain my issue to the best of my ability. I'm not too expirienced with cars yet, except when it comes to electrical systems. I have a 95 5.0 5sp and I'm having a random power loss when I'm giving it gas. It runs fine idle, but as soon as I give it a little gas in neutral or in any gear it drops RPMs for a second. Also when I do have any gear engaged, it will have random power loss and the car will jerk back and forth when is loses and regains power. When I accelerate very lightly or really hard, it doesn't do it nearly as bad or at all. Just when I'm doing some normal driving. Its not the transmission, its still feels very smooth. So I've decided its either electrical and/or something to do with the fuel system. I would appeciate any and all advice and wisdom someone could give to help out the situation.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:21 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

When it comes to these cars, misses can be a common occurance. The first thing to do is run codes. Your local parts store should carry one and it will come in handy down the road. While the OBD-1 codes may be a bit general/vague, it should point you in the right direction. As of now, it's just a guessing game. First order of business, what are your complete mods? You can eliminate a few things for cheap/free. First i'd clean your mass airflow sensor with electrical parts cleaner. It's located in your intake tract, just aft the airfilter. They get dirty very easily and can cause all sorts of problems. Now would be a good time to replace all plugs and wires, if they haven't been changed in a while. If you have a volt meter, you can even check your plug wires to see if you have a dead wire. Replace your fuel filter as well. It's located just in front of the gas tank. Clean your battery terminals and inspect your ground wires to make sure they are not frayed and have contact. I'd also replace your distributor cap and rotor. Hope this helps a bit.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:44 PM
thebub

throttle positioning sensor? I agree with NoGo95GT run the ecm for codes. Make sure you check the voltage of the T.P.S.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:02 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

KOEO test, see if anything comes up.

for hit and giggles, clean the MAF, look at the air filter, check what your fuel pressure is and maybe change plugs.

my car had a nasty issue when i got it, almost identical to yours.

after a year of messing around with it, it finally got:

an Aeromotive adj FPR

255lph pump

new CAI

cleaned the MAF

installed a wideband A/F guage and got it to run 12.8:1 at WOT instead of 16.1:1

one (or maybe more) of those things fixed it...
Old 12-13-2010, 11:27 PM
themasterhayter

Thanks, I'm going to get my parts store to run codes tomorrow. I planned on doing that anyway, just haven't had time with work. I also planned on changing my plugs, wires, and fuel filter. For some reason I haven't tried cleaning the MAF yet, even though I know thats a good idea. Guess I'll do that tomorrow, too. There are no engine mods whatsoever unless you count a K&N CAI. Hope I can get this figured out and taken care of soon. It absolutely disgusts me to drive it at the moment.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:12 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

there si a lot to read here... but with a multimeter and some time... you can check a whole lot of issues.

i have a feeling it is vac related and a few things contributing to the final drop in performance.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...checklist.html

more topics here... but that is the best place to start

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...how-index.html