5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

max cam lift and duration with stock set-up?

Old 01-21-2011, 01:21 PM
04ShadowStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
please dont give out any more advise.

OP, the E-cam is a horrible choice.

You should consider investing in a new shortblock, something with pistons that are notched for inline valved heads. then get yourself a decent set of heads (if budget allows). If you cant afford them, grab some GT-40 irons and select a GOOD cam. hell, even the TFS1 would be a better choice.
Mmmk... You're cool.

I was making a comment based on what I've read - I didn't actually recommend anything or give any advice, just reported that I've seen a lot of posts and in the real world - 5.0's with the E303 and they're all pleased.

I'm sorry that offended you lol

What's more... You didn't make a real recommendation other than telling the OP to choose a "GOOD" cam... So yeah, my bad for participating.

Last edited by 04ShadowStang; 01-21-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:03 AM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 04ShadowStang
Mmmk... You're cool.

I was making a comment based on what I've read - I didn't actually recommend anything or give any advice, just reported that I've seen a lot of posts and in the real world - 5.0's with the E303 and they're all pleased.

I'm sorry that offended you lol

What's more... You didn't make a real recommendation other than telling the OP to choose a "GOOD" cam... So yeah, my bad for participating.
Just fyi. The Ford racing cams are really outdated. 15-20 year old cam grinds that Ford hasn't changed in that long too. Any Crane, comp came, and even trickflow cams are far better then then the Ford racing ones. I'm not saying FRPP cams for the 5.0 are junk by any means, just outdated. There are far better.choices out there.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:48 AM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

Well if u want better sound and dont wanna loose or possibly gain any performance just use the tfs stage 1 a dual pattern cam will give u more of the sound ur wanting. And may or mafy not change ur car from how if runs now. Since a stock e7 dosent need much more than a .500 lift u wil be fine.
On the other hand head result in more power and that in its self can change the sound of ur exaust.
Save some money and do a head upgrade, roller rockers, then if u still done like the sound change the cam.
Performance isnt all about sound.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:49 AM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

Ooops op max lift will be .530 if the duration is kept to a low with ur stock pistons!
Old 01-23-2011, 10:15 AM
old83GT

Well I liked the way the ford E cam ran. It had a mild rough idle and the car deff performed well. It might be old technology but I liked the way it performed and like they say, don't mess with what works. It would be a great cam for someone just starting to build cars.

Venomantidote95, you gave some good advice. I was planning on seeing how much I could port the stock heads but I prob will end up getting GT-40 or twisted wedge heads in the end.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:20 AM
old83GT

To 82 black sunshine,

I ran the E cam in my engine for 5 years. Never had a valve to piston issue. But yes they are pretty close. When I pulled the engine apart, saw no damage to pistons or valves.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:28 PM
04ShadowStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by frdmstng1986GT
Just fyi. The Ford racing cams are really outdated. 15-20 year old cam grinds that Ford hasn't changed in that long too. Any Crane, comp came, and even trickflow cams are far better then then the Ford racing ones. I'm not saying FRPP cams for the 5.0 are junk by any means, just outdated. There are far better.choices out there.
There are plenty of chocolate bars since Hershey, but I seem to always go back to it...

It's a matter of preference, believe me - I know what you're talking about, I'm not saying you're wrong... What I am saying is simply, from the 7 people I spoke to locally at performance shops, as well as my 3 friends with 5.0's in this year range and set-up... That the FRPP/E303 never let any of them down.

It's up to the OP how he wants to roll... Old school lol or with any of the new car hoo-hah available... Like he eluded to though, perhaps the reason they haven't changed much - is because there isn't anything to change.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:52 PM
holyshift
3rd Gear Member

No the e cam pry hasnt let your buddys down......buuuut why not for the same money get a better cam?
Old 01-30-2011, 12:14 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by 04ShadowStang
There are plenty of chocolate bars since Hershey, but I seem to always go back to it...

It's a matter of preference, believe me - I know what you're talking about, I'm not saying you're wrong... What I am saying is simply, from the 7 people I spoke to locally at performance shops, as well as my 3 friends with 5.0's in this year range and set-up... That the FRPP/E303 never let any of them down.

It's a matter of performance and achieving the optimal valve events for cylinder filling, when one says/ uses the word "preference" for how to choose a cam, there is serious lack of comprehension with how and what a cam does... there is more to it than just lift and duration, such things as lobe seperation and what does that mean and how does that affect a cams performance, ramp, rates and how does a cams design affect cranking compression vs overall.....ect ect and the list goes on...... and were talking camshafts not candy bars = two unrelated topics.......and it matters not what one says at a performance shop or blanket statements as such from friends that the frpp cams never let one down, that statement is and carries as much weight as an empty glass of water, empirical data/ ET SLIPS are what is needed to back up such a statement.........I've run the frpp cams in many set ups, did they run okay....yea but when a set up is properly matched, which I have now, it runs circles around the frpp combos......What it all boils down to is what one is willing to accept, and I agree that often compromises have to be made in the name of a budget, I've done it before, did the combo live up to it's full potential....no, was it okay, yes..........so if 169.00 dolla' camshafts are what fit your budget, try the tfs cams
Old 01-30-2011, 12:24 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by holyshift
No the e cam pry hasnt let your buddys down......buuuut why not for the same money get a better cam?
of course it hasn't, the same could be said for tons of other cams, they work in and as far as the term goes to say that they all open and close the valves and allow the car to run...................I'll never forget my buddy after running his 90 gt at the track after a full h/c/i upgrade, = afr 165's ,rebuilt 306, e-cam, and iirc a ported cobra intake, best he could muster was a 13.3 @ 103/104.....needless to say he was not happy, at the time I had stock heads, small performer flat tappet cam and performer 289 intake and I was running 13.4's @100.....he expected to smoke me, and believe me I have more of these same stories from other friends, they were all the same happy and touted the frpp cams until they saw there was more out there, heck if all you ever ate in your life were the bugers at McDonalds then of course you might not know there are places out there that make far better burgers, do they cost more and taste better?? of course....in this world you get what you pay for

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: max cam lift and duration with stock set-up?