5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

roller rockers

Old 01-27-2011, 08:07 PM
tredogg_82

Default roller rockers

i have a factory 5.0 i would like to upgrade and put on 1.6 roller rockers iam just wondering if my factory heads and springs will handle them or do i also need to upgrade them as well.

my brother has a z28 i NEED TO BEAT HIM
Old 01-27-2011, 10:56 PM
whiteNblack95

i think they should be fine. try searching this website and see what other people are running on stock blocks. first try bumping your timing and running 91. best way to go for cheap if your looking for power RIGHT NOW is the trick flow twisted wedge aluminum heads, 1.7 rockers, and you would also need new push rods. if you are interested, i have all of those for sale right now. pm me if you are interested. all are BRAND NEW!!!
Old 01-27-2011, 11:56 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

U have to use pedestal mounts unless u have them setup for studs. U can just change the rockers. Brand really isnt a must until a certain point in power level.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

Easiest way to beat ur brother would be some sticky tires!
Old 01-28-2011, 04:52 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

You can swap roller rockers onto your heads the way they are rignt now. I would not suggest it though. Your heads use pedestal mount rockers. Most aftermerket heads use stud mount rockers. What does this mean to you? It means that IF you upgrade your heads to anything aftermarket, the rockers you buy now, will be useless to you.

That is called wasting money.

If you want to get a good base, before adding any power. I would strongly suggest you look into your suspension first. A good suspension can win a race.

Shocks, springs, control arms.
Then add a set of gears, and some sticky tires. Youll get your brother off the line every time.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:28 AM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

1.6 roller rockers on stock heads is a waste of time and money. You will gain exactly 0hp and 0 torque. The real purpose of the roller tip is to reduce side loading of the valve stem at lifts higher than .500" or so.

But, if you install a 1.7 rocker, you'll gain about 12-15 hp and tq. If your springs are in good shape, they'll work fine. If you have a lot of miles on them, you're better off swapping springs, regardless of the rockers you use.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:51 AM
89LX Coupe
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tredogg_82
i have a factory 5.0 i would like to upgrade and put on 1.6 roller rockers iam just wondering if my factory heads and springs will handle them or do i also need to upgrade them as well.

my brother has a z28 i NEED TO BEAT HIM
What Z28 does your brother have LT1 or LS1?? LT1 it wont take much for you to out run him if it's an LS1 98-02 Camaro you'll have your hands full for sure....

1.7 roller rocker for sure I got the 93 Cobra pedestal mount rockers on my and they are doing great!! Do gears and a sticky tire, and a cold air intake (a good one) not that bbk bull crap either.

Originally Posted by AdderMk2

Shocks, springs, control arms.
Then add a set of gears, and some sticky tires. Youll get your brother off the line every time.
That can only take you so far... If it's an LS1 his brother has he'll jump out and then get sucked up like there is no tomorrow and then left on....

Originally Posted by .boB
1.6 roller rockers on stock heads is a waste of time and money. You will gain exactly 0hp and 0 torque. The real purpose of the roller tip is to reduce side loading of the valve stem at lifts higher than .500" or so.

But, if you install a 1.7 rocker, you'll gain about 12-15 hp and tq. If your springs are in good shape, they'll work fine. If you have a lot of miles on them, you're better off swapping springs, regardless of the rockers you use.
This man knows what he is talking about!!! haha
Old 02-03-2011, 12:16 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

If its an older f-body z28 with tpi then you should beat it stock. 350 or 305. If its an lt1 then gears and and sticky tires you should be able to to take him out of the hole and hold him off till the end. Ls1 then a hundred shot suspension and slicks should be able to take him out.

If you race on the street, which I highly recommend against, then don't do any ricer roll races. It is playing into his advantage having the extra cubic inches on you and pretty much taking any suspension mods you do out of the equasion.(sp?) Take it to the track and race legally.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:42 PM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by .boB

Would this cause any valve interfearence with the pistons on a stock E7 block?

You have got me thinking now, lol.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:28 PM
tredogg_82

Originally Posted by 89LX Coupe
What Z28 does your brother have LT1 or LS1?? LT1 it wont take much for you to out run him if it's an LS1 98-02 Camaro you'll have your hands full for sure....

1.7 roller rocker for sure I got the 93 Cobra pedestal mount rockers on my and they are doing great!! Do gears and a sticky tire, and a cold air intake (a good one) not that bbk bull crap either.

That can only take you so far... If it's an LS1 his brother has he'll jump out and then get sucked up like there is no tomorrow and then left on....

This man knows what he is talking about!!! haha
so you say a "good cold air intake" now what trumps over bbk its just theres not much else out there that ive found.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: roller rockers