5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

No reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 09:21 PM
silverpony41
2nd Gear Member

Default No reservoir

So i ordered a 4 core radiator and after installing it the fan shroud did not fit. I have been running the car with no fan shroud or reservoir for 2 days and no problems whatsoever need i mention this radiator is good for 750 horses. My car is all stock besides cam and intake. Should i worry about finding a place to put the reservoir or can i leave it out? This is for my 87 mustang.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:34 PM
1988TTOP
4th Gear Member

i would get one i would also look into making a shroud or buy a electric fan
Old 02-01-2011, 07:15 AM
bz1111
2nd Gear Member

Default Too much radiator

Does your car get up to operating temp? Like 190 degrees? I doubt it and your building up carbon look at your plugs you will see it
Old 02-02-2011, 06:30 PM
silverpony41
2nd Gear Member

Yes the car gets to 190. Why is it too much radiator? Thats what it had before it just had a leak so i got a new one. Never any problems. Id rather have a 4 row and stay cool in the summer with my ac instead of having my car overheat with a 2 row with the ac. It gets hot as hell here in Texas. The car has heads cam intake right now and i will get a blower eventually.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:13 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

The fan does not pull air through the radiator properly without a fan shroud. You could have issues in really hot weather. And when your coolant expands and needs a place to go.

Last edited by DRAGUL; 02-08-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:08 AM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

It's almost impossible to get a radiater that's too big. That's why there's a thermostat in the system.

A shroud will significantly improve the efficiency of the radiater. Without it, the fan will draw air from around the core, instead of through it. I'm using a stock shroud on a Afco alum radiater. It didn't exactly fit. But I did some trimming here and there, and it works fine.

The overflow/expansion tank makes it a closed system. As it gets hot, fluid will escape through the radiater cap and into the tank. As it cools, it sucks the fluid back in. It really helps prevent the loss of fluid in the active system, and prevents air pockets. Air pockets turn to steam, and really inhibit good cooling around the heads. Either put the stock on back on, or use one of the many aftermarket tanks available.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:53 PM
silverpony41
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by .boB
It's almost impossible to get a radiater that's too big. That's why there's a thermostat in the system.

A shroud will significantly improve the efficiency of the radiater. Without it, the fan will draw air from around the core, instead of through it. I'm using a stock shroud on a Afco alum radiater. It didn't exactly fit. But I did some trimming here and there, and it works fine.

The overflow/expansion tank makes it a closed system. As it gets hot, fluid will escape through the radiater cap and into the tank. As it cools, it sucks the fluid back in. It really helps prevent the loss of fluid in the active system, and prevents air pockets. Air pockets turn to steam, and really inhibit good cooling around the heads. Either put the stock on back on, or use one of the many aftermarket tanks available.
I didnt think there was such thing as too much radiator myself. Thanks for the info Bob. I will buy me a aftermarket tank and customize the shroud, doesnt look like a difficult task. But also what size thermostat am i suppose to be running with this radiator? I got one from autozone but didnt check the size, also it does not overheat. But for future purposes it would be nice to know.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:30 AM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

Depends on your engine. 180* is about perfect for a carb engine. Most EFI engines are designed to run at 190-195* for improved emissions.

Be sure to drill a 1/8" hole in the base plate.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:53 AM
hollywoodstang89

if you have already put a huge aftermarket radiator in, you should switch over to an electric fan set-up. That would address the shroud/clearence issue and address the real problem with foxbody cooling systems. You will have to upgrade the alternator to support the extra amps the fan draws, but that is another foxbody weak spot you can take care of. Also, you will never be allowed on a track without a reservoir. The fan and alternator can be done with junkyard parts for well under a hundred bucks. I ran a $15 junkyard alternator for 2 years without any issues and only replaced it because I wanted some chrome. google 3g alternator swap or electric fan swap and there are tons of how-to's on this subject.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:08 AM
silverpony41
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hollywoodstang89
if you have already put a huge aftermarket radiator in, you should switch over to an electric fan set-up. That would address the shroud/clearence issue and address the real problem with foxbody cooling systems. You will have to upgrade the alternator to support the extra amps the fan draws, but that is another foxbody weak spot you can take care of. Also, you will never be allowed on a track without a reservoir. The fan and alternator can be done with junkyard parts for well under a hundred bucks. I ran a $15 junkyard alternator for 2 years without any issues and only replaced it because I wanted some chrome. google 3g alternator swap or electric fan swap and there are tons of how-to's on this subject.
I did a 130 alt swap as soon as i got the car. I really dont want to mess with an electric fan setup either. I think im gonna give it a show with customizing the fan shroud and finding a spot for the reservoir. Its just been too cold too mess with.