5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

90 mustang gt starter prob

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 03:35 AM
rainmakr2011

Unhappy 90 mustang gt starter prob

Ok heres the lowdown... when I start my car engine starts fine but starter continues to turn over. I have to take positive cable off battery to make it stop... It is a 1990 Mustang Gt 5.0 5 speed fox body... I have changed this so far... starter, solenoid, ignition switch, alternator. ran just fine started with no problems for a day then went to start it the next day and started doing it again. it continues to turn over after I shut engine off and take keys out of ignition.. pls help am now confused..
Old 02-07-2011, 03:55 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

something is shorting out. the fox has a very simple starter system. If you can jump the solenoid, and the car starts, but the starter does NOT stay engaged, the problem is before the solenoid (ignition etc) if it continues to crank, id suggest you start replacing cables, then check the starter again.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:17 AM
4rdnut
1st Gear Member

Default red solenoid wire

The next time your starter continues to crank over with key off, go under the hood and pull the red wire on the solenoid, the small red wire that pushes on the small threaded post, if when you pull this wire off the cranking stops, the ignition switch is the culprit or wiring to and from, if the starter keeps cranking when you pull the red wire then its the solenoid on the fenderwell or on the starter itself if you have the high torque upgraded one.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:29 AM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

and make sure that your solenoid is hooked up correctly, they seem to vary year to year and only work one way, at least thats the reason mine did that.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:22 PM
rainmakr2011

Default ignition

Originally Posted by 4rdnut
The next time your starter continues to crank over with key off, go under the hood and pull the red wire on the solenoid, the small red wire that pushes on the small threaded post, if when you pull this wire off the cranking stops, the ignition switch is the culprit or wiring to and from, if the starter keeps cranking when you pull the red wire then its the solenoid on the fenderwell or on the starter itself if you have the high torque upgraded one.
I have a brand new ignition in also tried that about a week ago... I bought a re-manufactured starter so it is not the high torque. sidewall is also new but wires were on backwards when I put new starter on... maybe thinking the old solenoid may have screwed the new starter by having wires on backward what do you think? should I take starter and solenoid back and put them both on and make sure solenoid is hooked rite this time?
Old 02-07-2011, 07:56 PM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

I would recomend finding some wiring diagrams for the starter circuit and go from there if you want to diagnose it successfully
Old 02-07-2011, 08:32 PM
mgmuscari
2nd Gear Member

I went through this last year. I ended up replacing the wall solenoid, the ignition switch in the column, and the starter. The problem hasn't recurred. FWIW, when I replaced the wall solenoid, I took extra care to make sure it was well grounded. I think that it's possible for a short in the starter itself to somehow cause the solenoid to arc internally and remain closed. At least, that's the only explanation I could come up with after I replaced both the switch and the solenoid.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:00 PM
g2_5point0
2nd Gear Member

replacing the solenoid and installing the new one correctly solved this same problem for me, 15 dollar part, luckily
Old 02-07-2011, 11:10 PM
stangfreak09
1st Gear Member

its always nice when its the cheap 1 lol had the same proble a few months ago
Old 02-08-2011, 10:55 PM
rainmakr2011

Lightbulb

Well gonna try to replace starter and solenoid tomorrow also may have found something in the grounding.. top bolt hole on solenoid has pulled metal on sidewall out a little so top bolt on solenoid is not tight. gonna hammer back a little bit of get bigger bolts. see if that helps...

Quick Reply: 90 mustang gt starter prob