5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HELP!!! I need advice.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 02:47 PM
mjay2020

Default HELP!!! I need advice.....

I have some questions and who better to come to then my brothers in the Mustang forum. I am about to buy a 1995 Conv GT mustang. Took it for a test drive and when I was driving it on the street doing about 35mph, I stepped on it and 2 things happened:
1.) I could hear the engine pinging alittle bit. The seller told me it needs tune up and timing done. Car has been sitting for about a year

-and-

2.) The tranny hestitated going into gear. There was even a time when I stepped on it and the car died. but that only happened 1 time.

What do you guys think?????

Thank you....
Old 02-12-2011, 04:57 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

well since it sounds like an automatic let me ask you this ?

1) do you like slow cars ?
2) do you $h!t 100 dolla billz ?

if yes to both get it... if no to either ... think about it and keep looking.

depending on asking price and condition ??? i'd pay $2000 for it if it was super clean but having the drivability issue, save $2k for the tranny rebuild tho
Old 02-12-2011, 05:09 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjay2020
I have some questions and who better to come to then my brothers in the Mustang forum. I am about to buy a 1995 Conv GT mustang. Took it for a test drive and when I was driving it on the street doing about 35mph, I stepped on it and 2 things happened:
1.) I could hear the engine pinging alittle bit. The seller told me it needs tune up and timing done. Car has been sitting for about a year

-and-

2.) The tranny hestitated going into gear. There was even a time when I stepped on it and the car died. but that only happened 1 time.

What do you guys think?????

Thank you....
The pinging is no big deal. The timing is to far advanced. Use a timing gun and back it down. Set 1 or 2 degrees above the stock recommendation. Gas could also create pinging....throw in super unleaded if you buy the car.

You said the car has been sitting for a year, I have a pick-up truck that sits and rarely driven. When I put it drive after it's been sitting for a long time it takes a second or 2 to load up the converter....this normal.

If you were to buy this car I would go through the whole car. Engine oil, trans oil/filter change, rear end fluid, fuel filter, air filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor & coolant flush. It's been sitting for a year and who knows what's been maintained....It wouldn't hurt. I would also check all the brakes.

How much $ and kind of condition?
Old 02-12-2011, 10:38 PM
mjay2020

Im getting the car for $2000. It blue booked at $4500. Its an automatic 5.0 with 132,000 miles on motor. I have one more question. When I went to see the car, it had been idling for about 15 min. When the car was turned off, I could hear a slight pinging or knocking noise. Im getting mixed responses. Some say its a minor fix and one person said camshaft bearings.
What do you guys think????
Old 02-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

If the oil pressure was good it isnt bearings, when u turn off a vehicle after running a while when the metal cools it can crink n crackle no biggy. But if its a knock while running further investigate it!
Old 02-12-2011, 10:59 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Still sounds that it is most likely the timing and bad/low octane gas can make those conditions. I never heard of cam bearings make that kind of noise but, you never know. Catalytic converter could also be having problems....you have to do some diagnosing.

Good luck
Old 02-13-2011, 01:22 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

depending EXACTLY how the pinging noise was ? after brand new header install i have had that while they heat/cool for a day or 2, and i just kept snugging up header bolts.

but i have also had that noise, much more obvious and distinct, after doing rockers and having them too tight. when the car cools you can hear them, showing an obvious problem. incorrect timing would probably sound like that a bit too if it was WAAAAY off.

also try to pop in unnanounced when the car is cool. the computer will adjust for some crazy stuff and FORCE the car to run.... but performance will suffer bad as the puter usually compensates with timing adjustment

if you fire up the car when it's cold... and it wont stay running......expect some gremlins to track down. clean cali 'vert for $2k ???? i'd still get it. is the top really really good ? thats a grand even if you do it yourself.

and if you do a t5 or tremec swap later on.... instead of the inevitable aod rebuild...you'll pick up some amazing torque and HP. its truly like a 100hp diff on these cars
Old 02-13-2011, 01:25 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

oh sorry for the DP

but camshaft bearings ? i really really doubt that.

these motors are like tanks, and all roller...... highly doubtful.
im really leaning towards incorrect rocker adjustment, + more timing issues and some vac leaks that are quite typical. not 1 single thing... but a combo of little stuff
Old 02-13-2011, 05:48 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

The 94-95's are notorious for pinging. I had to run 93+ octane booster to keep the pinging turned down. Both of my 95's did it. The AODE's suck stock-plain and simple. And beleive it or not, my stock 95 T-5 threw a rod bearing two months after I got it. I blamed it on the Penzoil oil and Fram oil filter I had gotten done three weeks prior(free coupon). They're decent car's though.