5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Installing motor- need help w/ wires/lines/clips/ect

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Everyones Hero
1st Gear Member

Default Installing motor- need help w/ wires/lines/clips/ect

I got my motor back in my '86 today. This is after I started taking it apart early last summer...

The first thing I have to reconnect is the starter. It's just one wire- correct? I think it's the thick wire that runs under the front of the motor. The connector is flat with two bent prongs to hold it in place, right? It doesn't seem like it wants to reach & connect so I'm not sure if that's for the starter or if it's a ground.

And then there's the bare braided wire coming off the back of the block. That's just a ground, correct?

The vac line that goes from under the intake manifold to the charcoal box- can I just leave that completely disconnected or is it going to cause a vacuum leak if I don't cap it off?

It's dark now but as I find new clips/hoses/ect I'll get pics & ask.

I've tried searching online & I just can't find pics of the stuff I'm looking for.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:19 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

If my memory is correct the big wire from the coil goes to the starter. This should make it easy! Good luck!

coil:

overall system:
Old 02-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Spartacus513

The easy way to do this is find someone who has a fox body and have them come over and set the car by yours. I installed a motor in an empty shell a couple years back and just had my boss park his by mine.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:25 AM
Everyones Hero
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the pic. If I need to I'll see if my brother's coworker can stop by.

I think I'll just have to reroute the starter wire because it doesn't have enough slack in it. I won't be able to work on the car until Wednesday (working in retail sucks. Can't get covered in grease before work & it's too dark when I get home.)
Old 02-14-2011, 11:11 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Good luck!
Old 02-14-2011, 04:01 PM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

Your starter cable is only 1 single cable from the solenoid to the starter.

The bare braided wire coming off the back of the block is for the ground.

You will need to cap off the old rubber tubing from the intake to the charcoal canister if you're not using the charcoal canister otherwise you will have a vacuum leak.

Last edited by ALMOST STOCK; 02-16-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:54 PM
Everyones Hero
1st Gear Member

Alright- it's coming along. I ran into another hang-up, though. This will sound really dumb- but this time it's the drive shaft. I could get it in about 1-2" then it wouldn't go any further. Then I pulled out this piece- it came out easy as pie & then the drive shaft slid right in.

Is it just a plug to keep fluid from spilling out or is it a seal?

Old 02-18-2011, 03:19 PM
chilywily72

I believe that piece the dealer put in from the factory to make putting the trannies in easy when they filled them with fluid some have them some dont i dont think its necessary when i rebuilt my tranny there wasnt one in it
Old 02-18-2011, 06:21 PM
Everyones Hero
1st Gear Member

The person I bought it from had it in a Tremec box with a cardboard tube covering the input shaft & all so that would explain the "plug". I started putting the headers back on but then I lost daylight so I had to stop.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Everyones Hero
1st Gear Member

She started right up today! Right as some old couple was coming by to look at my neighbor's house. :P

I have some odds & ends to finish up before I get her moving but at least she's running & the transmission will go through the gears while the car is off so I'm feeling good about it.

Do I have to have a vacuum line connected to the EGR? It's not actually connected- it is just attached right behind the throttle body. I'm assuming I don't need a vac line running to it if it's not hooked up, right?

What do the 3 small plastic vacuum lines on the right side go to? One of them was already plugged & I think a 2nd goes to the EGR. Just wondering if I need them because 2 of them are broke (that plastic line is SO brittle.)