MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   brake troubles (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/632560-brake-troubles.html)

Shelty 02-16-2011 04:37 PM

brake troubles

recently ive noticed that my fox has had a problem with its brakes

when you hit the brakes, the car will pull left, it seems to me like the drivers side caliper is closing more than the pass side. when i did the pads a short while ago, it did seem like the DS pads were a bit more worn than the PS side, but it didnt pull then... so i think it got worse.

what could be wrong? would it be the distribution block beneath the Master cylinder? bad MC? a bad caliper or something as simple as needing a bleed.

i do have a spare set of NOS calipers lying around somewhere just in case they are bad...

enix187 02-16-2011 05:53 PM

It sounds like a sticking caliper, bleed the front really really really well and see if the problem improves, you may need to throw another set of calipers on it if that doesn't solve the problem.

My car does the same thing, its from the car sitting for too long before I bought it and the left front caliper is seizing as it travels

frdmstng1986GT 02-16-2011 06:07 PM

Before you go throwing parts at it take the brakes apart and clean and lube the slides that the caliper rides one. Siezed slides can cause the car to pull cause the pads are riding closer to the rotor and applying a little bit sooner on that side. If all is free and the slides are clean then I would replace the caliper on the side that it is pulling towards.

Shelty 02-16-2011 09:10 PM

gotcha, thanks guys ill prolly get to it some time this weekend. supposed to be in the high sixties

and worst case i already have a spare set of calipers,, so swapping them out would just cost me some brake fluid...

TexasTanker19kilo20 02-16-2011 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by frdmstng1986GT (Post 7421926)
Before you go throwing parts at it take the brakes apart and clean and lube the slides that the caliper rides one. Siezed slides can cause the car to pull cause the pads are riding closer to the rotor and applying a little bit sooner on that side. If all is free and the slides are clean then I would replace the caliper on the side that it is pulling towards.

Ditto^^^ I had to do this to one of my soldier's 94 Vert. Fixed it like stated above.

Bubba 95SN 02-16-2011 10:00 PM

Check for worn steering and suspension parts. Caliper slides and contact ends of pads should be lubed with caliper grease. Does car pull left without brakes applied? Partial collapsed brake hose is a check after opening bleeder and pushing piston in with no resistance. Don't forget the Shadetree Motto..."If your car don't stop good let us break it, breaks are our speshulty." Little humour.

Shelty 02-16-2011 10:59 PM

car tracks pretty straight without the brakes.