5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Possible Blow Headgasket, compression test results

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 05:08 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

Default Possible Blow Headgasket, compression test results

So, this problem started off as the car overheating. I would have the radiator cap off and bubbles would come up through the radiator pretty bad, I couldn't even go down the street without it over heating, I eliminated the t-stat, fan, radiator etc. as the problem, I than suspected my head gasket, so I tore the engine apart, took the upper off, lower, front accessories etc. but when I pulled my lower off I noticed the lower intake gasket was blown, (pretty bad, letting water into the #1 cylinder, and possibly into the #4)so I'm thinking it is my lower intake gasket, it was def. blown, I did a compression test (cold) being that everything was torn apart so I couldn't do it while the engine was warm, but here are the compression test results, I'm trying to figure out if my head gasket is blown so here are the results, please tell me what you think.... Please only people with good knowledge, I do not want to have to tear this motor back down

#1- 200psi - I'm thinking this was high due to this is where the water was coming in from the blown lower intake gasket. ( I ran head gasket repair through the motor months back, Yes I understand this is not too good of an idea but I was moving and had no other choice) so I'm thinking it's high from that.

#2- 180psi

#3- 180psi

#4- 175psi

#5- 190psi

#6- 190psi

#7- 190psi

#8- 195psi

Thank You my fellow mustang families

Last edited by kennebellgt; 02-16-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:42 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Bubbling in the radiator won't come from the intake gasket. Do a simple leakdown check, pressurize each cylinder 1 at a time with the valves closed and see if air bubbles into the radiator(which I'm betting it will). That way you can find which cylinder(s) is(are) the culprit.

Then find out why the gasket failed and rectify it, or you'll just get more blown gaskets.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:50 PM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

white smoke? I mean the high doesn't seem as wierd as the 175, its within the 10% rule so i wouldn't worry about it, with a blown headgasket I've always seen either two equally low cylinders side by side. If you want to save a teardown the next step is a leakdown to see if it holds compression.

I've had water boil in the radiator through me just being stupid (don't remember much past very hot water everywhere) Do you have any water in your oil? I would flush the ever loving hell out of my system, I don't see any cooling system upgrades in your sig, are you still running the stock radiator, could very likely be clogged, how lean are you running, is your water pump spinning the right direction?

If the car overheats right away when you start it I don't see any water making it through the system. So leakdown will be your answer on the headgasket without a doubt
Old 02-16-2011, 06:02 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

No water in oil or white smoke out of the exhaust. Everything is ruled out besides the head gasket and maybe that lower intake gasket being blown out, The lower intake was blown out in between the lower intake and the head. I thought bubbles may be coming up through the radiator from the #1 cylinder where the lower intake gasket was blown out.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:19 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

I would like to also add that my lower intake was real loose, The bolts were literally almost finger tight, it was loose enough to where oil got up into the area's circled on the picture I'm attaching. I just need to know by the compression readings if my head gasket seem's bad. keep in mind I did this test cold. Thanks

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 02-17-2011, 12:44 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Are those the Fel Pro 1250s? I've had issues with multiple of them leaking, sometimes suddenly after a year or more of trouble free service. You might want to look at the 1250S3, same gasket basically, but with a steel laminate core.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:14 AM
enix187
3rd Gear Member

leak down test, your compression seems good, even on the high side, which is not what you'd experience with a blown headgasket, at least not normally.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:16 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

Don't have the tools to do the leak down test, and yes I used felpro 1250's
Old 02-18-2011, 04:47 AM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

So no way to tell from the compression results? and bubbles wouldn't come up through the radiator from a severely blown lower intake gasket? ( gasket was blown in between water port and the #1 cylinder )
Old 02-18-2011, 05:31 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

you wont get bubbles in the cooling system due to a bad intake gasket. There is no combustion pressure. only intake vac.

Quick Reply: Possible Blow Headgasket, compression test results