5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

tranny help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 12:06 AM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

Default tranny help!!!

ok i have a question, i was driving in my car today, when i stopped at a stop sign, hit the gas.. and it just didn't go, the engine reved but the gears were spinning i think, then i kicked in and kinda jerked... so i took it home and when u put it in drive, u hafto si t there for a second with it revving so it will catch, i think its just 1st and 2nd and reverse... please tell me if this means i need a new tranny!!!!!
also if i do need one.. by next year im puttin my 5.0 in anyway.. will the stock 5.0 tranny bolt up to my 4 banger? please help!
Old 08-27-2005, 12:11 AM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: tranny help!!!

Check your tranny fluid. Autos are very picky. What you are experiencing is a side effect of low tranny fluid.

Hopefully this is your case...but if you are good on tranny fluid then sounds like your tranny is slipping...sure tell signs that it needs to be rebuilt sometime in the near future if your don't want to be stranded.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:49 AM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

yeah the fluid was my thought too... cuz i kno its old.. i dont know how old the fluid can go but i dont think it has been replaced in a few years.. another question tho.. if thetranny is going.. can the stock 5.0 tranny bolt up to the 4 banger? cuz next year i will have the 5.0 in my car
Old 08-27-2005, 10:53 AM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

I would say also that the filter needs a change
Old 08-27-2005, 06:21 PM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

ok i FOUND THE PROBLEMOOOO!!! kinda happy about this too because it shouldn't be a big deal!
i came back from fishing off my boat this morning.. and i noticed where i parked yesterday there was a stain on the driveway.. so i was curious... i checked the tranny fluid while idling for a bit and noticed there wasn't any showing up on the dipstick... i put it in neutral pushed the car back 5 feet a saw a big stain on the driveway.
I just went out and bought 3 quarts of tranny fluid and its not synthetic because that will rip my hoses and lines apart because i dont think it was in there ever. so to be safe i bought this other type i frogot what it was.
so obviously the transmission needs this fluid to be able to run, but i have a question, since i was still driving with it on my way home would that have damaged it by any chance? because there was still fluid in it because its all on my driveway now and if i fix the leak and poured the fluid back in this is probably the sloution am i correct? because it never leaked before.
since it leaked how could this of happened? i know i didn't hit anything on the bottom. could it have just been a bad seal?
Old 08-27-2005, 08:53 PM
Pure5.0
3rd Gear Member

Yes damage could have occured while you drove home. Tranny fluid not only is what a transmission needs in order to operate correctly, it also cuts down on the amount of friction that is created between moving parts. So if you ran with low tranny fluid then you could have done the same damage in one drive as you would have done with 15,000 miles of normal wear.

But since it did happen, don't worry too much about it. Now the problem that I see is after you fix your tranny leak and pour more tranny fluid in then there could be a problem that most lube places will tell you.

If you haven't replaced your tranny fluid every 30,000 miles like you are supposed too and driven more than 100,000 miles...then the fluid cannot be changed. The tranny can be topped off, but you cannot change your tranny fluid if you have driven more than 100,000 miles with never changing your tranny fluid. The reason is because the old tranny fluid creates a coat on the outer walls of the tranny and when you change the fluid the new sedatives in the fluid will break that coating down causing those peices to float around in your tranny plugging up holes. When holes are plugged then the tranny won't operate properly and might not even work at all.

So that is why they only suggest topping it off. So unless you know when the last tranny fluid change was in your car, just fix the leak and top it off.

But another thing that could be is you had a leak from one of the gaskets inside causing problems...this can only be fixed by pulling the tranny and rebuilding it.

That is the worst case senario.

On the bright side....maybe your tranny plug just came loose and cause a small leak then loosened up more....spilling more fluid.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:57 PM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

hopefully its the last case u said with the plug.. but i was under the car and i looked at it and there were 2 things a black plastic thing infront of the tranny that looked like that was what was leaking or there was a silver metal pan on the mid to end of the tranny, what are these things
Old 08-30-2005, 12:29 AM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

ok... i figured out the problem.. before i bought the car there was that problem... obviously impossible to notice because it onyl leaked when the engine was hot, therefore the spin around the block wasn't enough to notice because it only leaks when it got hot... i brought it to the transmission place they dropped the pan and they had to replace some kinda seal or seal something back up.. in the pan where shavings of metal but the tranny functions fine and shifts perfect (only 50,000 on that tranny) they also had to replace the pump and the torque converter, costing me 575 plus tax... so it will be about a lil over 600 not fun for having this happen on the first day i put the car on the road wich was my birthday very dissapointed thats gunna set me back a lil so no tires for my rims for now...
Old 08-30-2005, 09:49 AM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

i hope they changed the filter since they had the pan off
Old 08-30-2005, 03:16 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pure5.0

Yes damage could have occured while you drove home. Tranny fluid not only is what a transmission needs in order to operate correctly, it also cuts down on the amount of friction that is created between moving parts. So if you ran with low tranny fluid then you could have done the same damage in one drive as you would have done with 15,000 miles of normal wear.

But since it did happen, don't worry too much about it. Now the problem that I see is after you fix your tranny leak and pour more tranny fluid in then there could be a problem that most lube places will tell you.

If you haven't replaced your tranny fluid every 30,000 miles like you are supposed too and driven more than 100,000 miles...then the fluid cannot be changed. The tranny can be topped off, but you cannot change your tranny fluid if you have driven more than 100,000 miles with never changing your tranny fluid. The reason is because the old tranny fluid creates a coat on the outer walls of the tranny and when you change the fluid the new sedatives in the fluid will break that coating down causing those peices to float around in your tranny plugging up holes. When holes are plugged then the tranny won't operate properly and might not even work at all.

So that is why they only suggest topping it off. So unless you know when the last tranny fluid change was in your car, just fix the leak and top it off.

But another thing that could be is you had a leak from one of the gaskets inside causing problems...this can only be fixed by pulling the tranny and rebuilding it.

That is the worst case senario.

On the bright side....maybe your tranny plug just came loose and cause a small leak then loosened up more....spilling more fluid.

That is very true..... changing the fluid on old trnnys will destroy the tranny so only top it off