5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HO motor vs. non-HO motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 03:27 PM
DGSipes

Thumbs down HO motor vs. non-HO motor

Afternoon to all, here's a simple question by a newbie for the pros. I bought an 88 mustang GT vert that I am in the midst of restoring and modifying. My biggest problem right now is she runs really rich. In investigating the essentials, I found that the firing order on the block is 1 5 4 2 6 3 7 8 which corrensponds to that it's a non-HO firing order. HO firing order is to be 1 3 7 2 6 5 4 8...so scratching my head, i pull the pass kick panel to check the puter and it's an EEC-1V SFI-SD1 E7SF-12A650-C1A. In doing research I found that it is in fact an HO speed density computer. My first question is, what am I losing by having this set up and second, could it be the reason why the engine is running rich? I've read a lot of posts about distributors being 180 degrees, etc etc. I have no markings on my harmonic balancer so I did the total compression check on #1 so I could play with the timing a a little bit but it made no difference to the rich problem. I would love some ideas as to what I can do to the car to "take it to the next level"...I've put on the non MAF cold air intake, bbk shortie headers, O/R X pipe, flowmasters. I have invested too much money so far to restore the interior of the car and I am hoping I'm not walking up a tree to make this a sweet a** stang. Sorry for the long thread.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:09 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

if it was 180* it wouldnt even start

to answer your question, you would need to know what they did to the inside of the motor. i fit is in a fact a non ho block it doesnt mean they didnt do a little work to it.

can you tell the number on the heads ? are they E7TE ?
and you DO have marks on your balancer... it's just rusty. take some emery cloth or a scotch pad... clean it up then mark the lines with chalk or white crayon. wipe it softly so the white stays in the grooves. just worry about the scale that goes from 0-20 NOT 10-0

what intake is on it ?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:12 AM
DGSipes

Originally Posted by nitrous_bob
if it was 180* it wouldnt even start

to answer your question, you would need to know what they did to the inside of the motor. i fit is in a fact a non ho block it doesnt mean they didnt do a little work to it.

can you tell the number on the heads ? are they E7TE ?
and you DO have marks on your balancer... it's just rusty. take some emery cloth or a scotch pad... clean it up then mark the lines with chalk or white crayon. wipe it softly so the white stays in the grooves. just worry about the scale that goes from 0-20 NOT 10-0

what intake is on it ?
Thank Nitrous_Bob...I will try the balancer clean up/chaulk thing some night this week. The intake is the stock 5.0 HO intake (both upper and lower)...orange injectors...as far as the heads, all I could see on the drivers side head on the corner closest to the head light was a stamp of a number "20"...any ideas as to why it's running so rich?
Old 04-11-2011, 05:42 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

how rich and what are you guaging by ??? smell ??
that'd be the off road pipes. how do the plugs look ?
Old 04-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

You need to replace the camshaft with one with the correct firing order so the injectors firing order and fuel trim corrections are compatible otherwise, the A/F control issues you have will not be corrected.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:02 PM
DGSipes

n-bob....before i put the O/R pipe on, it still smelled rich....some smoke out of the rear (whitish color) and water that smelled like gas dripping out of the tail pipes. Plugs look good too. I don't get much of the water anymore but the smell is still there. Joel..are you saying that the injectors are in fact firing wrong right now givin the cam i have in there?
Old 04-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Yup.... BTW, you may want to read http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=92
Old 04-13-2011, 09:34 AM
DGSipes

OUCH! Anybody want to earn some extra money? lol
Old 04-13-2011, 11:36 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by DGSipes
OUCH! Anybody want to earn some extra money? lol
sure, what part of VA???
Old 04-14-2011, 11:21 AM
DGSipes

is there a way that i could tell whether or not the computer has already been programmed? Just curious.

Quick Reply: HO motor vs. non-HO motor