5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Gear swap begins: What are these?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 10:56 AM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Default Gear swap begins: What are these?

So I started my gear swap to my new set of 410's. I have everything out except the bearing races which I will get tomorrow.

When I pulled the pinion out of the housing, the 4 pieces of metal fell out. It looks like all 4 are suppose to be flat, but one is all bent up as if it twisted.

What are these? What are they from? They look like they were some type of shim but I have no idea what they were used for.

So far everything has went fine. Everything has came out fairly easily. I haven't pulled the bearings off the carrier or pinion but will start it sometime tomorrow probably. I do have a bearing splitter I bought plus I will be freezing the carrier and heating the bearing to ease installation of the new bearings. I would rate the difficulty thus far about a 5 on a scale of 1-10. I've had bad luck before but so far this task isn't too bad.

Last edited by stdyhand; 04-23-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:09 PM
nightmare90gt
2nd Gear Member

nothing i have seen in a rear end you need to check everything out in your rear end something might be torn up make sure you replace all bearings and races and it get a lot harder when you start lining things up i have done it once and the hardest part was getting the pinion preload.

Last edited by nightmare90gt; 04-23-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:24 PM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

I'll take a look in the morning try and find out where they came from. I looked once but it was so filthy inside and it was starting to pour down raining so I gave up for the day.

I am replacing all bearings, races, bolts, etc. and have the equipment needed to do the job right so I should be able to finish it.

I was just curious what these flag metal pieces were.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:27 PM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Whatever they are, they fell out of the pinion housing. Not the larger rear section of the housing, but rather the smaller tunnel where the pinion slides in. They fell out as soon as I pulled the pinion toward the rear.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:43 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

they look like the square tabs that are attatched to the clutch friction surface that lock them in place in the t-loc unit, inspect the clutch packs for them being broken off, if they are = t-loc rebuild time
Old 04-23-2011, 08:37 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
they look like the square tabs that are attatched to the clutch friction surface that lock them in place in the t-loc unit, inspect the clutch packs for them being broken off, if they are = t-loc rebuild time
+1
thats what i was thinking, ive never seen anything like that when ive taken one apart, so it has to be something out of the inner workings of the actual diff...

either rebuild or grab a new 28 spline T-Loc, theyre pretty cheap
Old 04-24-2011, 04:32 AM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

I believe your right. Those metal tabs do look like whats on the t-loc. It looks like some are missing. I guess I'll be rebuilding this t-loc unit. I had already read up on how to do this and it seems fairly easy compared to what I'm already doing so no big deal. At least I know It'll be done right and it should all be reliable for years, I hope.

Last edited by stdyhand; 04-24-2011 at 04:50 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:57 AM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

I have another problem. I can't get the carrier bearings off. Despite the cost of the bearing splitter it didn't hold up to the job. The threads on the bolts for the splitter stripped and the two claws I tried to use to grip the underside just bent.

The bearings are on there extremely tight.

For the cost of having a shop remove the bearings and then having to buy the t-loc rebuild kit I could just by another t-loc and put the new bearings I got on myself.

Last edited by stdyhand; 04-24-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:30 AM
buster
4th Gear Member

I have no idea what they are. If you have ripped appart your rear end and don't know what the extra parts are, before you do some real damage, call a tow truck and have it pulled to a trans shop. I know this though : if you don't know what you are doing as far as a gear set goes, you can burn it up to the point of terminal on a one mile test drive. Sorry, I know very little, but I know when I'm in over my head. Good luck with your project .
Old 04-24-2011, 08:46 AM
stdyhand
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by buster
I have no idea what they are. If you have ripped appart your rear end and don't know what the extra parts are, before you do some real damage, call a tow truck and have it pulled to a trans shop. I know this though : if you don't know what you are doing as far as a gear set goes, you can burn it up to the point of terminal on a one mile test drive. Sorry, I know very little, but I know when I'm in over my head. Good luck with your project .
I don't feel like I'm in over my head at all. I know how to do it but as with all projects something comes up you weren't expecting. If I got a dollar for every time that happened I would be rich. Of course I'd probably still do it myself. It isn't all about saving money. When I'm talking to a guy at work I can say I did it myself. I think that seperates me from a lot of the young guys who pay others to do it. When I put it to the floor and burn that rubber my work was not in vain

Quick Reply: Gear swap begins: What are these?