5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

car wont idle after intake swap loosing my mind

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 04:38 PM
rydinturbo
2nd Gear Member

Default car wont idle after intake swap loosing my mind

i rebuilt my engine las summer and it started up first time fine.i had a explorer intake on it and i jus switch ed the upper and lower to a tubular one, and now i cant my cAr to even run with it popping tthough the intakke and running like ****. i re adjusted valves all where around 1/2 turn to torque, check the torque on the lower. i re stabbed the dizzzy about 15 times ive messed with the timing. ive check all the vaccum lines numerous times and im really lost now. my plugs are black now but are not fuel soaked but my car smells like its dumping a **** load of fuel in. anyone got any idea before i loose my mind

Last edited by rydinturbo; 05-31-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:59 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

Vac leak?
Old 05-31-2011, 08:12 PM
rydinturbo
2nd Gear Member

seems like one kinda but all the vaccum line are fine. i jus swap the injectors re did the timing again. checked over everything. still popping through the intake. it will idle at like 500 or 600 and then the revv will shoot up to over 2 grand for a second(it seems not to run as bad wen the revvs are higher)and then go back down and it keeps doin that until it dies. if u hit the gas sometimes it doesnt rly respond or its really delayed. sound like it running like ****. all my plugs are black but no sign of resido like oil , there not soaked with fuel but they smell like it strongly. fuel pressure set to 41-42 ish with vacc line off. with it on the fuel pressure is at like 40 at idle and if i hit the gas or the revvs go up it drops to around 35 -36 is this normal? it seems to run a lil better wen the pressure drops. its got a bbk adjustable regulater that wasnt on there before. should the fuel pressure be lower at idle? if anyone has any ideas at all i would appericate it because im outa idea besides taking off the lower and redoing everything which i rly dnt wana do.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:36 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

Vac lines arent always the leak! So you didnt change mass air meters, just fpr and intake?
Do you have a stock fuel pump?
Old 05-31-2011, 10:44 PM
rydinturbo
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Venomantidote95
Vac lines arent always the leak! So you didnt change mass air meters, just fpr and intake?
Do you have a stock fuel pump?
where esle could leak. no stil the same mass air and fuel pump sounds after market i think it was changed before i got the car. worked fine before i changed the intake. the only thiing i can think is i discounted the cut off switch in the trunk wen i tore it apart but its pluged back in now.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:42 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

Gaskets. It could be a bad fpr! yes even brand spankin new ones! Do you have a scanner run a test for codes!

But if it ran fine before the upgrades something went wrong, you just have to figure out what!
Old 06-01-2011, 12:59 AM
rydinturbo
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Venomantidote95
Gaskets. It could be a bad fpr! yes even brand spankin new ones! Do you have a scanner run a test for codes!

But if it ran fine before the upgrades something went wrong, you just have to figure out what!
ya i was wondering about the fpr. shouldnt my fuel pressure be getting higher wen i hit the gas not droping. is 40 psi to high for idle? i think stock it was 35-36. is there anyway i can tell if its the gaskets thats better than just spraying brake clean lol, i cant cant hear anything. its weird because everysingle plug is black now and they where prefect before so it has to be something effecting all cylinders. and im the mits of me going crazy double checking and redoing everything i totaly forgot to run for codes lol, ill do that tomorow.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:25 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

fuel pressure should be ~39psi with the vac line disconnected, and ~31-32 with it connected
Old 06-01-2011, 09:22 AM
rydinturbo
2nd Gear Member

isnt it higher than that with the vac line connected with the stock regulator...

Last edited by rydinturbo; 06-01-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:47 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

not if your car is running right.

Quick Reply: car wont idle after intake swap loosing my mind