5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Front Rotor Grinding Help Please???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 10:05 PM
stangirl88

Default Front Rotor Grinding Help Please???

During a routine inspection my local mechanic said my rotors were too thin and needed to be replaced. No big deal, I can do that at home. I got some pads, new rotors, some lithium grease tada, time to go to work.

Took the pads off, removed the wheel bearing assembly, the rotor, put all new shiny parts on, repacked the bearings and put it all back together. Unfortunatly, I either did something wrong, or the parts are wrong. After bleeding the system and making sure everything was tight, my father and I took the stang for a testdrive. Not 100 yards up the street the front wheels locked up and we had to force it back home with the whole thing shuddering and jerking.

Off come the wheels and this is what we find:

The rotors are being eaten up by the calipers. The /NON/ contact surface of the rotor is grinding against the caliper assembly. there are four nice little shiny grooves in the caliper now between the pads. With the calipers bolted in tight the rotors are nearly impossible to turn, and we spent three hours trying to figure out what could be wrong.

The wheel bearing assembly is fine, without the caliper on the rotor spins free and there is no grinding. Once the caliper goes on though, the rotor doesn't turn, and there is a lot of noise as it grinds against the caliper. The rotors are the same size as the ones that came off, both width, diameter, and height, the pads match up with the ones that came off, and I have no idea where to go from here.

If anyone has any ideas as to what could be wrong I would be more than happy to hear it.

Pony in distress and undrivable,
Stangirl88
Old 06-02-2011, 10:53 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

take a pic and post it of what is going on...can you see what if any part of the caliper is grinding against the rotor??
Old 06-03-2011, 12:41 AM
stangirl88

Yes, I can see the part that is rubbing. Too dark to take pictures right now, but here is a little paintshop thing to look at.

The black areas are where the rubbing is at. The rotor is rough and worn along the edges, and there are very nice grooves in caliper.

I'll upload some pics of the actual caliper and rotor later today.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:45 AM
stangirl88

Default Caliper and Rotor(repost?)

Yes, I can see the part that is rubbing. Too dark to take pictures right now, but here is a little paintshop thing to look at.

The black areas are where the rubbing is at. The rotor is rough and worn along the edges, and there are very nice grooves in caliper.

I'll upload some pics of the actual caliper and rotor later today.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:48 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

certainly sounds like you have the wrong rotors...

Im assuming you didn't bother matching them up with the old ones before installing them.

bad move

We really need pictures of the actual parts. As many as possible!
Old 06-03-2011, 08:58 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if what you say is correct, addermk2 is right...or cheap chineese rotors not made to exact oem spec...run into that plenty
Old 06-03-2011, 09:43 PM
hondhunter
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
certainly sounds like you have the wrong rotors...

Im assuming you didn't bother matching them up with the old ones before installing them.

bad move

We really need pictures of the actual parts. As many as possible!
good call
Old 12-25-2011, 12:30 AM
stangirl88

Thanks for all your help guys. Took me long enough to find the problem. My error. I forgot to grab the inside wheel bearings off the old rotors. Pony all pretty and running now :P Blond moments are priceless.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:07 AM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Ouch. The outside bearings are still good after being driven like that?
Old 12-25-2011, 11:02 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

what is the diameter of the disk you put on?

Quick Reply: Front Rotor Grinding Help Please???