5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Powerdyne'd 5.0 Blowing Dipstick, Should I Weary?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 12:01 AM
PovertyPony
1st Gear Member

Default Powerdyne'd 5.0 Blowing Dipstick, Should I Weary?

Hello, I'm in the process of getting a 1994 Mustang GT. It's bone stock, save a Powerdyne BD10 (Ancient, I know) supercharger kit, and an unknown tune. Well other random stuff like exhaust and whatnot but engine is stock.

There was mention of it blowing the dipstick loose. I found no signs of oil under the hood, so I'm hoping this is not something major? No smoke from exhaust, engine runs well.

Should I be weary of this car, or is this a common issue? I've read of simple fixes, but also of horror stories ranging from piston rings, to head gaskets, to actual head damage. It seems to me though if it was something that bad, it would be blowing lots of oil out and it would be everywhere.

Is there a simple way to test and see if it's something simple to fix, without having to do anything crazy to a car that doesn't yet belong to me? I've heard of using after-market filtered oil filler caps to remedy similar issues, for example. Though, if boost is making it's way into the valve covers, that's less going into my motor and more into the atmosphere.

Just seeking some outside opinions. =]

Also, until the car gets warmed up, sometimes it idles pretty rough, sometimes will stall out even. Once it's warm and has been running for a while, runs like a charm. Possibly unrelated, figured I'd share though.

Compression check maybe? Kinda on the complicated end, but I feel that that would completely eliminate any internal failures, leaving the issue to be something PCV or similar related that won't require me to tear the car apart and have it inoperable.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:40 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Didn't read the whole thread... ADHD...

Blowing the dipstick out under boost is a sign that your PCV system is connected wrong. There are two ends of the PCV system that attach to the crankcase. One is where the PCV valve is actually in the crankcase (rear or lower intake manifold) and the second is the fresh air inlet.

You need to verify that your fresh air inlet is after your MAF, but BEFORE the blower. Having it setup any other way will cause either unmetered air to enter the crankcase (such as the fresh air inlet being before the maf) OR having positive crankcase pressure (if the fresh air inlet is after the blower).

Verify that your fresh air inlet is in the correct location (it should be attached to the passenger side valve cover. Then check your PCV valve itself. It should have a very clear and distinct rattle sound if it is good. When the manifold is put under pressure, the PCV valve is supposed to snap shut, disallowing pressure to vent into the crankcase.

Fixing any PCV issues may also increase your HP slightly by keeping boost pressure in your intake, and not seeping into the crankcase!

Last edited by AdderMk2; 06-08-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:46 AM
PovertyPony
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
Didn't read the whole thread... ADHD...

Blowing the dipstick out under boost is a sign that your PCV system is connected wrong. There are two ends of the PCV system that attach to the crankcase. One is where the PCV valve is actually in the crankcase (rear or lower intake manifold) and the second is the fresh air inlet.

You need to verify that your fresh air inlet is after your MAF, but BEFORE the blower. Having it setup any other way will cause either unmetered air to enter the crankcase (such as the fresh air inlet being before the maf) OR having positive crankcase pressure (if the fresh air inlet is after the blower).

Verify that your fresh air inlet is in the correct location (it should be attached to the passenger side valve cover. Then check your PCV valve itself. It should have a very clear and distinct rattle sound if it is good. When the manifold is put under pressure, the PCV valve is supposed to snap shut, disallowing pressure to vent into the crankcase.

Fixing any PCV issues may also increase your HP slightly by keeping boost pressure in your intake, and not seeping into the crankcase!
Thank you!

Very useful information. If the PCV system IS hooked up properly, what could be a potential culprit? A bad PCV valve letting positive pressure into the crank case? I'm assuming it's possible to rule out any diabolical internal failures since it's not always blowing the dipstick out, and there isn't any oil being lost through the dipstick passage?
Old 06-08-2011, 11:49 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

if the pcv valve doesn't close, it will spill boost into the crankcase

its a $2? part... might as well just toss a new one in there
Old 06-08-2011, 07:51 PM
PovertyPony
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
if the pcv valve doesn't close, it will spill boost into the crankcase

its a $2? part... might as well just toss a new one in there
Yeah I looked at some online, weren't too expensive. That'll probably be the first thing I do to it once I get it.